Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forums, and I am also pretty much a nwe rider.
I bought a 1998 zx6r about a month ago, and have been riding every chance that I've got. Its my first bike too, so I am not sure if some things are normal for my bike, or if there is something wrong with it. Just a couple of questions:

Can i start my bike while pulling the clutch in?
When i first bought my bike, I could start my bike with the clutch pulled in. Now, i have noticed that sometimes i can't start my bike like that anymore, but instead, i have to put the bike in neutral, and let go of the clutch in order to start it. I was just wondering if this was some kind of safety feature, or if that might be something i need to check out.

My second question: Has anyone with this type of bike had significant problems with the clutch slipping? Just the other day i was riding, and as I shifted into 3rd gear with the throttle open, it just started to rev to higher rpms. Then i slowly let off on the throttle, and the rpms decreased, and the clutch caught again.
Is this in fact the clutch slipping? time to fix it, or is it something else.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I dont know the answer to your question sorry. But i can tell you that my 98 zx6r does the same thing. on both cases...the only time it slips is when im shifting hard, i figured it was human error since it doesnt happen all the time. mabye im not jammin it up hard enough... and the starting thing... mine use to start wtih theclutch in but now it will only do it in N ...[:M74]

·
Registered
327 Posts
Originally posted by BrianGoYeah

Can i start my bike while pulling the clutch in?

My second question: Has anyone with this type of bike had significant problems with the clutch slipping? Just the other day i was riding, and as I shifted into 3rd gear with the throttle open, it just started to rev to higher rpms. Then i slowly let off on the throttle, and the rpms decreased, and the clutch caught again.
Is this in fact the clutch slipping? time to fix it, or is it something else.
1st answer: My 02 you definitely cannot, so I'm guessing it is a built in safety feature on the 98 as well.

2nd answer: Sounds like a slippy clutch to me, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
537 Posts
My clutch slips when I get on it hard, around 12k rpm. It also hooks up really late, clutch lever is almost out. I've got new friction plates and new springs ready to go. Next time I change oil it will go in, also have new (used) clutch cover, take care of some road rash and a dent.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that is exactly what happens when i shift hard. Its happened 2 or 3 times now, but only when i shift hard.

Thanks for your input guys.

·
Registered
202 Posts
my old zx-7 started slipping around 11k rpm's after i installed a muzzy exhaust,i put a set of barnett springs in and NEVER had a problem again. barnett springs 10 bucks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How exactly do the springs work? I have the general idea of how the clutch works ... can you recommend any good websites that explain this?

Is it hard to replace yourself?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.