Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m lil’ desperate for some help from some guys who have a little more knowledge about bikes than I do. I have recently replaced my chain and sprockets as well as my clutch plates (both fiber & steel) and I’m still having problems. About 2 or 3 months ago I realized my clutch was slipping when I got on the throttle really hard, especially when dropping one or two gears through a turn and then accelarating out of the corner. Well, I was in MU for a suspension set-up and the guy was like you need a new chain and sprocket desperately. So, I ordered the kit and headed home. Well, I picked up my kit the following week and installed the new chain and sprocket myself. I had some difficulties getting the nut off the front sprocket. I initially tried putting the bike in gear and when I tried breaking the nut loose I just turned the motor over and could hear compression building. Well, I called MU for some advice and Patrick advised me to put the bike down and have someone hold the rear brake (with the chain still in tact) while I break it loose (and that there was a locking hun (washer looking deal) that I needed to unfold. Well, I did all that and put it all back together. (There were no left over parts so were all good). Well, I go to take for a test drive and bam, the damn thing won’t move. I can feel the bike “click” into first gear the bike momentarily shifts forward just like it normally does, but when I release the clutch nothing happens. I tried all 6 gears and nothing. So, my next thought was those damn clutch plates are slipping pretty bad, maybe they went out completely coincidentally. Well, I replaced all the steels and fiber clutch plates and I’m having the problem still. Just for shits and grins I looked to make sure the “push rod” was in place and it was. There were 6 springs that I pulled and some sort of a plate to get to the clutch plates. I tightened those springs all the way down (they were all the way compressed when I pulled it apart), is that right? When tightening the front sprocket I did the same concept to tighten as I did to loosen? Did I overtighten this as well? When I put the bike on the rear stand I can put the bike in gear and I see the rear tire rotate just a little bit. When I rev the motor up to about 5 or 6K I see the rear tire budge a little bit, but then it stops. I was thinking I damaged something when loosening that front sprocket, but if you think about the concept of push starting a bike I didn’t put any more stress on the motor or tranny than would there. I have a ’94 Kawasaki Ninja Zx-7 and it has a hydraulic clutch. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the advice and sorry for the long read. Oh, I also bled and put new fluid in the clutch about 3 weeks ago. The fluid was low so I’m assuming that’s what caused the clutch plates to burn up so quickly. Thanks again.

·
Registered
124 Posts
im pretty sure you assembled something wrong in the clutch. the clutch springs are only suppose to be at 6-7 ft lbs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking the same thing. Anyone have a manual for a 94 ZX7 and can give me the correct specs for torquing the clutch springs?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem fixed....
Clutch plates needed to be torqued at 7.7 ft. lbs and I recently bled and flushed the clutch line (which seemed to be the problem). Well, with the slave cylinder "off" the pushrod I broke the bleeder and fluid went flying for several feet. I put the slave cylinder back in place and now everything seems to be working. Too much pressure in the line held the clutch like it was always disengaged and therefore kept the clutch from engaging to turn the rear wheel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.