Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't got too serious into doing wheelies on my new bike, just because it's new and i don't wanna loop. But when the weather dries up around here, I want to start practicing wheelies again. I'm bone stock performance wise, and stock sprockets for now(thinking of-1/+2 soon). I've managed to get the front wheel up once by accident honestly. I've tried a few clutches, and couldn't get anything to happen but some rebound. I'm pretty sure i'm just not revving high enough. The last bike I had was an R1, 1 down front, PC, full exhaust, air filter, dyno tuned, and every other performance mod possible. I could power wheelie in 2nd, sometimes 3rd, and took nothing to bounce. I never once clutched though. So now that i'm on a lower powered bike, could anyone help out with tips on clutching?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Try this: go along in first gear, roll at about 25-30mph (around 7k RPM I think), pull the clutch in with one/two fingers till it just disengages, rev to about 10k then slip the clutch out really quickly. You don't have to snap the clutch out instantly, just get a nice, quick, smooth motion on it. 10k probably will only get the front wheel up a few inches, you'll have to increase that number to go higher but it should do the trick to getting you used to clutching.

Once you get used to that, practice powering through the clutch; i.e. keep the revs increasing as you let out the clutch. This way you can put the bike at pretty much any angle you want and ride out the wheelie much longer or even find bp.

I have an 03 636 with stock gearing, and this works really consistently for me. When you start clutching, you'll never go back to powering it up; it's so much more controlled.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
If you search "clutch up" or "clutching" or "clutch wheelie" in this section, you will find plenty of info on the subject. But the truth is that you have to go out there and practice it. If you understand the basic idea of clutching up a wheelie, then there isn't much more that you can learn by reading about it. You have to go out there and figure out what works for you. Practice, practice, practice. That's it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know how to clutch, I've just never done it. Im used to bouncing or power wheelies. Tried a few the other day, and the highest I got was a foot. Starting at 25 or so and letting out around 9-10k. I got a lot of wheel spin though. Probaly too high tire pressure. I'm trying to implement a little bounce with it too.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Ya, lower your pressure to say between 25-30 psi, and wait for your tire to warm up a little before tryin' to clutch it up (mine will spin too, when it's cold). When you get used to slipping the clutch and can carry the front wheel consistently, then you can move on to second gear.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got 30 psi in my rear tire now, put my left back peg back on the bike, did some parking lot practice since we're dead at work right now, got one good clutch, and now it's raining. The lower pressure feels a lot better already. I did notice on that clutch, I paid more attention to my tach, pulling in at 6k, releasing at 9k. I'm gonna work on releasing around 10.5-11k. If i can get a dry road after work, I'm gonna go practice and get my wife to video. Hopefully I can get atleast one good wheelie. I'm starting to consider going back to a liter bike. Not really but it was a lot less work.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i found this one funny. couldn't get out to practice, could barely find a dry enough road. but i got one on the way home from work. so i figured hell, i'm geared up, i've been waiting all day to try some clutch, i'm gonna clutch. there were a few cars coming the other direction down the road. thought i could have it back down before i even got to them. so i clutch it, got about 2 feet up, felt good, set it down, and notice some old lady(like literally 75-80) literally lost her dentures in the minivan that was coming the other direction. mouth wide open, both hands tight on the wheel, and hard on the brakes. i was no where near her, didn't cross or even come close to the yellow line. it was funny. tried to get some practice in on the way to work this morning but cops at every intersection almost. got lectured at a redlight by a state trooper because of my tag placement. hopefully i can get some in later.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just started clutching up this past weekend and I will never go back to power ups!! But I cant seem to get it up in 2nd more than about 2 feet at the highest.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I got a lot of wheel spin though. Probaly too high tire pressure. I'm trying to implement a little bounce with it too.
Dont try to bounce and clutch, the bike will want to get squirly. If the tire is breaking loose be smoother letting the clutch out and a little lighter on the throttle.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dont try to bounce and clutch, the bike will want to get squirly.

yyyyyeeeeep. learned that last night the hard way. i swore my riding life flashed before my eyes lol. altho, i rode one 2-3 blocks last night. couldnt get to bp, worked the hell out of the throttle, but a wheelie is a wheelie. (not really but im trying to feel better about it)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
managed to get a 2nd gear for a few blocks last night. sad part, i didn't realize i was in 2nd. i thought i was in first, didnt look at the indicator. was harder to get it up the first time, so i revved higher, and came up smooth.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i 2nd that your videos are awesome downshift :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts