Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...so I've been riding my 03 9 for about 2 years now. Got it as a left over from a dealer and have loved it ever since. I'm not a stunter and would much rather hit a few corners. Here's the thing, if I'm in a corner and need to upshit, I will usually clutch it to get it to the next gear. Because the front suspension is preloaded while I'm in the turn, the gear change has a tendency to upset my line. So I was riding with a buddy of mine the other day and he happened to notice this and asked why I clutched it, rather than just power shifting. Apparently, our bikes (as well as most other sport bikes) are direct drive, which means that we technically don't need to use the clutch while upshifting. We can simply let off the gas a little, and pop it into the next gear. Well...I've been trying it, and it seems to work great. Although it's a little different, cause you gotta make sure your letting off the gas the right amount. So...my question is, has anyone else heard of this? Is it true that our bikes were made to do this, because of the tendency to upset the line? Am I hurting anything by not using the clutch? (I will use the clutch to downshift)
THanks!
C

·
Registered
93 Posts
It won't hurt anything. I've even heard that it's actually easier on your transmission to shift like this at high rpm's rather than using the clutch. I shift without the clutch frequently with the ZX-9, and have done it with all the dirtbikes I've ever owned, and haven't once had a tranny problem.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
whether or not it's harmful depends a LOT on technique. If you do it smoothly, when the gears are not "loaded" it's noot a problem. Slam that transmission relentlessly when under full accelleration and you'll eventually overstress something. Like knocking teeth off the gears.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just "bump" the clutch. No need to take it in fully. If you need to shift while leaned over you should be on the gas anyway and the load on the front tire is lessened. Just roll off quickly and bump the clutch lever and shift all at the same time. Some race bikes are set up to kill the ignition (via a switch) when you move the shift lever with your foot so your engine cuts out (for a just a few 1000ths of a second)which takes the forward "load" off the input gear.

·
Registered
367 Posts
even when using the clutch you need to have a good technique to minimise stress on the gearbox... like try to click up the instant you close the throttle... not sure about later models but my C1 seems to have a very clunky gearbox [B)]

you have to use the clutch for downshifts, and i would recommend using it for 1st to 2nd gear shifts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.