Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't be afraid of clutching it up. You need a lot of clutch with stock gearing to get the front end up in 2nd. Give it a shot and you'll be suprised how much it will take and you won't be scurred. Shifting is also fine, just make sure you let of the gas for a second before you shift and there won't be a surge. The only reason it would surge is if you don't blip the throttle when you shift.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
OK I got the first gear power-on wheelies down pretty well. I am still practicing but I'm getting better at it. I'm still adjusting to the "Oh shit I'm falling backwards" feeling. Anyway, I keep hearing that clutching it up in second gear is a better way to wheelie. But I'm nervous as hell to pop that clutch! Any motivating or encouraging words of wisdom? Also, I've been wanting to try and ride out a first gear wheelie and then shift to second, but I know there's kind of a "power surge" on the initial shift and I don't want to loop it from shifting up one gear. Anybody got any tips for me? Thanks guys!

- Jon
2000 Firecracker Red ZX6-R --{Ported and polished cylinder heads, ignition advancer, full Carbon Fiber Muzzy}--
"It only takes one beer to get me drunk.......but I'm not sure if it's the 8th or 9th one!"
~~Feminist movements belong in the bedroom~~
-> Never trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die!<-

·
Registered
315 Posts
pimp is way better than ill ever be at wheelies but i have to give some advice here. my first bike was a 95 fzr and i looped it shifting from first to second. now i only had 2000 miles under my belt but just to let you know the danger is always there when youre dealing with wheelies. these newer bikes are a ton easier to wheelie though. i personally dont clutch. i just use the drop n pop method to get it in second or third. stock. so far my best is a third gear at a little over 1/2 mile. no shifting, still to scarred.[B)] and just take it slow. dont be a spaz about it cuz thats when youll make a mistake.

·
Registered
303 Posts
hey guys i can get it up in first no problem.... i have been trying to clutch it up in second but can't seem to get it high enough to do anything... it barely comes up... do you guys completely dump the clutch or just slip it a little? also what RPM or speed are you at when you pop it up.. my bike is stock... thanks

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
Okay, Help! I'm a little confused here. Is clutching it up the same as popping your Clutch? I've only been able to bring the front tire up inches in 2nd so far and in first I've been popping the clutch but only burn rubber, no wheelies. I have a stock 02 6R. I use to pop wheelies a while back on my LTD 750 (that's how long ago it's been) in first with no effort (it wasn't stock, full exhaust, racing plates, yadi, yada), I just can't seem to get my 6r to do the same. What am I doing wrong? If I popped the 750 at 5,000 I was doing 12's, no problem.

Irv Roman

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I busted one off on accident today in first from revving the shit out of the bike and feathering the clutch in and out. The front end hopped up and down in the air and then came back down and I was gone like a flash! It was pretty cool all in all, although I had no clue what the hell had happened til I pulled up to the next stoplight and thought about it for a minute! [:p] Then I realized what I had done and went back and tried it again on a more deserted road. But6 the old fear of not wanting to rev the piss out of it came back and I gave up again for the day! :( But when i used to do little wheelies on my EX250, I would always pop the clutch, but I think that manipulating or feathering the clutch a little more would yield a more controlled wheelie. Like I said, I brought the front end up and down a little today so feathering the clutch in and out and engagin/disengaging the engine that way would help adjust altitude a little bit. Gonna take some practice though. Just my speculations!

- Jon
2000 Firecracker Red ZX6-R --{Ported and polished cylinder heads, ignition advancer, full Carbon Fiber Muzzy}--
"It only takes one beer to get me drunk.......but I'm not sure if it's the 8th or 9th one!"
~~Feminist movements belong in the bedroom~~
-> Never trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die!<-

·
Registered
303 Posts
in first gear on my stock 01 if i feather the clutch it stands it up easy... if you are burning rubber that means your giving her too much.. also make sure your tires are warm or it will spin each time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.