Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
other than freezing my nuts off, is there any detriment to the bike to being riden in cold weather (20-30 C)? obviously i'm not gonna head out when there is snow and ice on the road, but here in boston we have a lot of clear cold days with dry roads (like today) and i'd love to be riding (gotta give it a while for the tires to warm up though), but i don't want to hurt my bike.
any thoughts on the matter?

ps last year i had a 95 ninja 600c which i rode during the winter, but i don't know if the winter riding hurt the bike, for my 03 i want to make sure she stays in great condition.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Nope, bike will be fine. FI is a great thing. Even less to worry about.
If you can stand the cold, then you can ride. Just make sure you don't try any agrressive leaning before letting the tires get warmed up, otherwise the bike might spit you off before you even know what happened.

BC.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Make sure you let the bike warm up properly before you haul azz on it. Not just till the oil temp comes up, but until the block is up to temp. Heating up that aluminum block too fast makes for warping and smoking engines down the road!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I'd let it warm way the hell up to around 160 degrees before really getting on it. Give it a few minutes to sit and get the oil circulating too. Maybe even use a lighter weight oil for the cold temps. But ALWAYS LET THE TIRES WARM UP! They don't warm up that quick either, especially with the cold roads.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I enjoy winter riding but tend to avoid the twisty roads that make up most of my summer fun. I also find it's a good idea to stay away from wooded areas as the roads stay wet and icey far longer when sheltered by the trees.

If there's a lot of salt on the road, use cold water to clean it off then give it a good sraying with WD 40 or similar. Might be an idea to switch to a more touring oriented tyre as they tend to warm up quicker and hold their heat longer.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Parts Canada sells a contraption called the; personal parts heater. Goes in your pants over your 'junk', and wires into the battery!

...but yeah, watch the cold tires.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, i meant 20-30 F... i work all day with engineers and we use C and sometimes i forget to switch back... i wish it was 20-30 C here in boston now...
thanks for all your input, i'm going riding (about 27 F now... brrr....)

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I'm gonna just connect my heating blanket to and put it under my shirt, sweater, and riding jacket. God damn I freeze too much.

I'm still riding as long as it's dry and not windy. I don't care. I need the 636.
Chapstick! Don't forget chapstick.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, i was out yesterday, but damn, it dumped snow here today... the plow's are on strike so it's gonna take even longer for the roads to get dry again...

and to top it off, i had been waiting to change my oil for my magentic drain plug to arrive, but yesterday i had to change it cause it is just dumping snow all weekend and next week, and the plug showed up today...

stupid winter

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.