Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember last fall all the people talking about crashing on cold tires/roads and yesterday morning I was reminded how fast it happens. I think it was around 55F when I left. From my house I ride about a block, stop sign, turn left for a block then another stop sign and turn right onto a 55mph. I waited for a 300C to go by on the 55mph road and thought I'd catch and pass him quick so I [would impress him, I mean] could lead down the windy hill that comes next. I pulled out, and when first gear hit about 8K, zzzzzzzz the back tire just lights up and slides out a little... no biggie this time, by then I was going pretty straight and just eased off the gas a little and it hooked back up without incident, BUT, luck had a lot to do with that!!

Remember to start slow and build your confidence gradually *every* time something is different! In the fall, it will be the temps that are dropping, but I think that advice applies to a lot of other easy to overlook situations too. Deciding to leave a little something in reserve *will* save your life someday.

a.s.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Originally posted by trig
Dude, it's still 100 degrees outside. weirdo.
YOU'RE the weirdo! It was frickin 53 degrees this morning. You live on the opposite part of the states! Notice he's in Minnesota! [:p]

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by MRWGLO92
LOL U lucky SOB's get to ride all year round! [8D]
If you consider riding in full gear in 95 degree, 90% humidity "lucky", then yeah; we're all winning the lottery down here too. lol.

Riding "season" for us southerners starts in late September, and runs through May. June through early September is a mix of heat, humidity and hellacious thunderstorms (not to mention hurricanes).

LOL

·
Registered
262 Posts
We are supposed to have a high temp of 58F tomorrow with a low of 37F !!!!!!!! :(

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hmmm! Me thinks I could put up with it. At least you have a bit of a choice if you want to ride when it's less than desireable. We northerners gotta look outside at 3 feet of snow and then go play Tourist Trophy on PS2. Hell, i get out if it's sunny and dry roads, but you still can't do much because it's 25 degrees (tires never warm up) and there's too much salt/sand/ash on the roads. Ug!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't know about all this farenheit talk but it was 6 degrees celcius here this morning, probably like 42 or so i think. BRRRRRRRRRR

G

·
Originally posted by anarion55

If you consider riding in full gear in 95 degree, 90% humidity "lucky", then yeah; we're all winning the lottery down here too. lol.

Riding "season" for us southerners starts in late September, and runs through May. June through early September is a mix of heat, humidity and hellacious thunderstorms (not to mention hurricanes).

LOL
i cant wait until wintertime so i can dust the cobwebs off my bike lol. i dont think i've put over 10 miles in the past few weeks.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Originally posted by MRWGLO92
LOL U lucky SOB's get to ride all year round! [8D]
Trig doesn't have all year riding cause that boy has no bike [B)]

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Originally posted by VoodooNinja
We are supposed to have a high temp of 58F tomorrow with a low of 37F !!!!!!!! :(
IM going to be home this weekend and was looking at the weather... Looks like I will be packing my winter jacket since I will be freezing...

·
Registered
812 Posts
I ride year round. No incidents due to cold tires (yet) thank god. YOu should wait for your tires to warm up before switching the turbo on (your rught hand) but other than that, just put on your heated vest,invest ($15-Dwilits, this is for you I said invest[:p]) in some heated grips and get on your way. Enjoy weird looks by people int heir cars with layers on, heat jacked up to krypton. Just take it easy. The bridge may freeze before the road surface! [:eek:)]

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I noticed the same issue in MA when I rode home after work (at 11:30pm): 55 degree weather = be careful on cold tires and cold pavement.

It's funny because a mere 5 weeks ago, it was almost too hot to ride (~100+ degree weather w' high humidity). Now it's too cold. Here in New England, we never win. We just get used to it [xx(]

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You're all just a bunch of pansies.
Me and Cyberdos had all the roads in NYC to ourselves last winter.
And when Cyber wasn't riding, I still was.
I was giving lifts to a cute coworker when the Transit Strike hit, and that was some damn cold weather those couple days, too.

20 degrees? No problem.
Let me just turn up my heated gloves a bit more.
Cyber was living large with his heated vest, and heated grips.

Yah bunch of pansies. :D
BC.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Good reminder. This is my second season with a bike and last year my bike didn't make it into the winter, because my friend rear ended me in November. However, this year I plan on riding all year, so I might need to be reminded to start taking it easier as it gets colder.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Originally posted by bladecutter
You're all just a bunch of pansies.
Me and Cyberdos had all the roads in NYC to ourselves last winter.
And when Cyber wasn't riding, I still was.
I was giving lifts to a cute coworker when the Transit Strike hit, and that was some damn cold weather those couple days, too.

20 degrees? No problem.
Let me just turn up my heated gloves a bit more.
Cyber was living large with his heated vest, and heated grips.

Yah bunch of pansies. :D
BC.
Hahah I was reffering to my winter rides with Cyberdos as well :DGreat guy.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by ninjakid04636

i cant wait until wintertime so i can dust the cobwebs off my bike lol. i dont think i've put over 10 miles in the past few weeks.
Yeah. With that pos storm, I haven't ridden at all this past week. Not thrilled.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Originally posted by ozanbacak
I ride year round. No incidents due to cold tires (yet) thank god. YOu should wait for your tires to warm up before switching the turbo on (your rught hand) but other than that, just put on your heated vest,invest ($15-Dwilits, this is for you I said invest[:p]) in some heated grips and get on your way. Enjoy weird looks by people int heir cars with layers on, heat jacked up to krypton. Just take it easy. The bridge may freeze before the road surface! [:eek:)]
Thanks!!:):D[8D];)[:p][^]

--David

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.