Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had no luck getting the collar off the output shaft.
I have tried pulling and twisting but the collar just spins with the shaft as if they are one piece.

Heating didn't help. I tried spraying oil where the collar meets the shaft. Nothing. Perhaps I should let the oil sit longer.

Any tips?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Probably need to try and grab it with something that will get a purchase on the hard shiny surface something like a Exhaust clamp band.
Can I ask why it needs to come out ?

Clamp

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the clamp.

I'm trying to access the transmission from the right-hand side of the bike to see if I can diagnose a separate issue 😅.

Fortunately, I think this bike is designed to be able access the transmission without splitting the case.

According to the service manual I need to remove this collar first.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It's a Cassette style Gearbox and once the Clutch assembly and Transmission bolts have been removed it will pull out from the clutch side.
You don't need to remove the Collar as the shaft will pull through you might just have to Tap the end of the output shaft with a soft faced hammer to ease it out.
Then the Collar will be easier to remove ready for the install, Remember there is an 'o' ring in there that needs to be located.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh great. I'll get on to removing the transmission bolts tomorrow.

I'll update here later. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made an attempt today to gently hit the shaft and pull from the other side. I failed but I'll make another attempt when I get another moment.

What seems to be the issue is that the collar is the same diameter as the ball bearings. With the collar holding onto the shaft so firmly, I think the removal of the shaft gets blocked by the collar and bearings coming into contact.

Maybe I should hit it harder, but I'm not confident if hitting the shaft will free the collar, or just damage the bearing.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts