Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking into a zx-9r (2003). i've done some research on the forum and elsewhere and have discovered a few common problems (every bike's got them):

1. cracked frame
2. bad 3rd gear
3. choppy/hesitating low end power/performance

which years are these problems most common on?

are there any other common problems? anything in particular (other than what i mentioned) that i should look/feel for when inspecting/test riding this bike?

thanks

(mods, let's make this a sticky!)

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the input

·
Registered
261 Posts
looking into a zx-9r (2003). i've done some research on the forum and elsewhere and have discovered a few common problems (every bike's got them):

1. cracked frame
2. bad 3rd gear
3. choppy/hesitating low end power/performance

which years are these problems most common on?

are there any other common problems? anything in particular (other than what i mentioned) that i should look/feel for when inspecting/test riding this bike?

thanks

(mods, let's make this a sticky!)
1. Cracks in the frame have been reported, but I do believe that the 2003 won't have this issue.

2. The transmission from 00' to 03' was rock solid, talk to Maut or NitrousChris, these guys put them through the ringer with alot more power than stock. Mine is putting down 160hp at the rear and 74flb of torque with no issues.

3. The issue of the "hesitation" is easily fixed with a jet kit. There some ways to get more out of a nine, and they don't all cost alot. Swap out your intake cam with an exhaust cam and get an extra 5hp (I think that is what was the outcome). Jet Kit and full exhaust for 8-10hp. Bigger carbs for even more. I never had any issues with low end performance, this bike has a ton of torque for an I-4. Drop a tooth in front and add 2 in the rear sprockets, this will liven it up quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool thanks. so the 2003 is a pretty solid bike, huh? this particular bike might have a jet kit on it. there's an aftermarket exhaust on it and the guy says it runs great so who knows. i will ask.

·
Registered
173 Posts
cool thanks. so the 2003 is a pretty solid bike, huh? this particular bike might have a jet kit on it. there's an aftermarket exhaust on it and the guy says it runs great so who knows. i will ask.

As far as I've heard the 02 and 03's had none of the issues you mentioned. The tranny was a 98-99 problem, the cracked frame was an early 2000 issue, and the carb stutter was an 00-01 problem as I think they changed carbs and cleared it up in the 02 and 03's. So yes the 03 would be a good solid bike!

What brand is the pipe and who's jet kit is it? I would be much more worried about those two things than the rest of the bike. Good pipes are starting to get harder to come by for these bikes and a poorly done jet kit can be a problem. So if the pipe is a good brand and the bike runs good you should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I also recommend an air filter upgrade. Mine has a BMC race and the sound alone is worth the money.

Good luck with the purchase.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as I've heard the 02 and 03's had none of the issues you mentioned. The tranny was a 98-99 problem, the cracked frame was an early 2000 issue, and the carb stutter was an 00-01 problem as I think they changed carbs and cleared it up in the 02 and 03's. So yes the 03 would be a good solid bike!

What brand is the pipe and who's jet kit is it? I would be much more worried about those two things than the rest of the bike. Good pipes are starting to get harder to come by for these bikes and a poorly done jet kit can be a problem. So if the pipe is a good brand and the bike runs good you should be good to go.
m4 high mount. don't know about any jet kits. dude says it runs great. anyone want to trade their pipe for an m4 high mount? (i guess i should get the bike first). what do yall think: 2003 zx9r a little over 14k miles, "custom" paint (dude says it's never been dropped), for $3450

Attachments

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Well wtf is my bike?!? Cuz i have the cracked frame, the jerk, and the fried 3rd gear!!! Damn my luck!! Oh, well!!

#1) Custom paint on a sportbike usually means wrecked or dropped at some point!!

#2) I see the GA tag. Where is it located?

#3) $3450 seems like a a "too good" price. I'd check ALL the vin #'s and wouldn't pay unless Title is in hand!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Kilaman hit it on the head....custom paint means wrecked or down quite often. Check the undersides of everything hard, bar ends, clutch/brake levers, shifter, pegs, fork bottoms, engine covers, engine case to see if there are any scratches from a fall.

Although I don't have experience with M4's I have heard they tend to be loud, but I really can't report on build quality, a short search on here shows mixed reviews on the quality of the M4's.

The price is pretty low for the bike but people are getting a bit desperate and people aren't buying so the price is getting pushed down on everything. Look it over good and if it feels good buy it but if you get any bad indications you might want to take a pass.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well wtf is my bike?!? Cuz i have the cracked frame, the jerk, and the fried 3rd gear!!! Damn my luck!! Oh, well!!

#1) Custom paint on a sportbike usually means wrecked or dropped at some point!!

#2) I see the GA tag. Where is it located?

#3) $3450 seems like a a "too good" price. I'd check ALL the vin #'s and wouldn't pay unless Title is in hand!!!

#1. I know. I'm going to look it over real good before I take it home. He said he just got bored with the OEM paint scheme and did what you see in the pics. I was thinking about it the othe day, though...if all he did was peel the decals off and leave a "lip" of clearcoat then I'm not going to be happy.

#2. Valdosta, Ga. I am at Jennings GP right now.

#3. I know. I've been looking for months and have passed up other "good" deals. I don't NEED a bike so I wasn't going to be satisfied with a "good" deal. I think $3450 is a great deal which is exactly what I want. If it's not up to par, I'll tell the guy no thanks. Valdosta is only like 30 min from Jennings so it's not really too far out of the way (considering I live in Mobile, AL).

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kilaman hit it on the head....custom paint means wrecked or down quite often. Check the undersides of everything hard, bar ends, clutch/brake levers, shifter, pegs, fork bottoms, engine covers, engine case to see if there are any scratches from a fall.

Although I don't have experience with M4's I have heard they tend to be loud, but I really can't report on build quality, a short search on here shows mixed reviews on the quality of the M4's.

The price is pretty low for the bike but people are getting a bit desperate and people aren't buying so the price is getting pushed down on everything. Look it over good and if it feels good buy it but if you get any bad indications you might want to take a pass.
exactly what i was thinking.

·
Registered
756 Posts

M4 is high quality, as I have a full M4 system on my drag bike. They are not as loud as a few other systems.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
M4 is high quality, as I have a full M4 system on my drag bike. They are not as loud as a few other systems.
yeah i like the sound...just not a big fan of high mounts on these bikes. i did buy the bike. everything seems ok except for a ticking noise but i'm just going to keep paying attention to it and chock it up to the kawi tick. i ran out of gas on a bridge yesterday cuz the jackass i bought it from evidently left the fuel switch on reserve so when i ran out of gas the tank was BONE dry! :violent:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been trying to figure out if a bottom engine case from an 2002 2003 will work on 2001 engine with swapped 2001 internals? Have looked at other forums but no answer. Thanks in advance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts