Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i should probably try to post this on 650R section, but it seems that there arent too many members on it yet, or they are not too responsive to the threads.
has anyone compared the two forks? any body having the 650R can you please post the diameter of the forks please. speaking of which what is the diameter of the 00-02 forks or the 05-06 zzr600 forks? Anybody??

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks on verifying that for me tazman! i know this may sound like a really dumb question to the others, but what is the differnce between the cartridge front fork and the telescopic fork? i am still learning i know i can google it, but i would like to know what are the advantages of one over the other?

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Cartridge and damping rod is the appropriate terms. They are both telescoping.

Cartridge forks have a piston with openings covered by a "shim stack". That shim stack opens over the holes to allow the fork oil to flow as the suspension is compressed depending on how fast the fork moves....a similar valve does this for the rebound/extension portion of the stroke.

A damping rod fork has some fixed size holes the fork oil has to travel through. These style forks are cheaper to make and offer a compromise in damping at best....they are very soft at road speeds, and harsh at high speeds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.