Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i hit a slick spot, downed 05 636, tank mashed {really bad} along with some other non functioning parts.... 2 months go by i get the new tank install old fuel pump {looks perfect sounds like it works... cant get it start to save my life...check plugs,good..so i take off air box put some gas in each..starts right up but dies obviously..so im getting no fuel to injectors i geuss but the pump seems to work im baffled and have no money so take to a shop am i missing something obvious, is there more to installing a fuel pump than bolting it in and hooking up electronics...i feel stupid im no mechanic but im better than this

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok i have disconected the main line from fuel pump {with orange clips} and attempted to start bike, no fuel was pumped out..so..does this mean its not installed properly or not functioning, its driving nuts ,used a flshlight to look in gas tank and nothing moves but this doesnt help me because i dont know if it normally should?.. this my only transportation and with school starting back i need my baby running

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
think fuel pump is not working ,any common problems or ways to isolate and test..dont want buy a new one if not sure and it only has 5000 miles but been thru tank accident and my unistall reinstall surely its me...any help

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where is the fuel filter located ..took off pump looked in new tank some small debris, followed lines to injectors, no filter that i see

·
Registered
414 Posts
There is no filter.
Here are a couple of things to try if you haven't already.

Check your tip over sensor. its mounted under your tank by the shock. Everything will look normal but no fuel pump or spark. It should have reset on its own though.

Put your ear on the tank and turn on the key. If the pump is working you should here it for a couple of seconds before it turns off.

I struggled with a crashed 03 for days before I figured out it was my key switch causing my problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dont see anything resembling a sensor or switch..sounds likely but does get spark because i had it running with gas directly {took off air box and fuel injectors so there is spark..must pump or kill switch for im baffled..thanks for advice much appreciated

·
Registered
5 Posts
Of course there is a filter on the pump!!!When the pump is running you cant see anything moving even if you hold the pump on your hands, even then, you cant see also the filter, you have to take the pump apart to see the filter.When you turn the key to ON the pump works for 4 seconds to set the pressure at about 3 bars on the line, so if you cant hear it running the pump is not running.check first the cables are they connected???check your fuses, check your tilt switch. if you want to test the pump, connect it directly to a 12v battery take out the fuel line and check if it pumps gas.if it doesnt then buy another pump.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
My bike fell over before and when the pump would start off you could hear it make a non-normal whine sound then at 10k the bike would cut out. You can get like mentioned above to the filter screen if you take the pump apart. Im gonna say that you should just invest in a new used pump from ebay as mine was toast just from a little tip over.

·
Registered
277 Posts
flip the kill switch!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
There is not a per say inline fuel filter. Kawasaki uses a filter sock on the end of the pump. This is in the bottom of the sump. Like as said you will have to take the sump off of the pump to get to the fuel filter sock.

When you are turning the key on are you hearing the pump prime?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.