Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2000 VFR now but want something smaller and lighter. I don't really care about riding long distances, just finding nice twisty roads (and track days).

A local dealer has two for about $9200 out the door. The bike price is $7999. This seems like a great deal - what do y'all think?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Have you looked at the 636 or other models? What is your riding experience and do you think you'll want a larger bike? Know anyone that has a 6RR or 6R that you can take a test ride?

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
The ZX-6R is better all around for street use and cheaper.

Some will say get the Liter bike, but if you want twistys & track days the 600 class is so damn fun!
Any New 600/636/675 is faster then your VFR..

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you are considering something new look at the honda or stick with the 6rr. If I had a choice now I would probably go back to a gsxr 750 not a 6. Either way you go you are going to get a good bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I recently did the stage 1 part of the California Superbike School and used one of their ZX-6Rs. I really liked that bike, but the RR is cheaper and has slightly better suspension components. I know it's not as fast but I only care about handling, not power.

Actually the 600 shoot-out in Sport Rider is what got me thinking about the RR (July issue). They had lots of good things to say about it and a few of the editors made it their bike of choice.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I believe the J&J Cycle Sales in Port Huron, OH still has some 2005 ZX-6Rs in the crate. They are selling them for $7299 plus $330 freight/prep. That's where I got my 2005 from. If nothing else, maybe you can use their ad on CycleTrader.com for a little negotiating leverage. How do they end up adding $1200 to the price of the bike to get the OTD price? That's a hell of a lot of taxes and fees...

BTW, the ZX-6R makes a great bike for twisties and track. Given a chance to do it again, I'd probably go with the Triumph 675 or GSXR 750 for a bit more torque, but they both are/were selling for close to MSRP, not heavily discounted like the 2005 leftover I bought.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Originally posted by olmy
I recently did the stage 1 part of the California Superbike School and used one of their ZX-6Rs. I really liked that bike, but the RR is cheaper and has slightly better suspension components. I know it's not as fast but I only care about handling, not power.

Actually the 600 shoot-out in Sport Rider is what got me thinking about the RR (July issue). They had lots of good things to say about it and a few of the editors made it their bike of choice.
Actually straight MSRP I think the RR is a little more expensive, not cheaper - unless you're just able to get a better deal in your area on the RR. I was surprised at the Sport Rider article. Actually, they mentioned they were, too. I was a bit curious about their dig on the R for having soft-ish suspension, when their suggested suspension settings are soft as crap. I set mine to their settings, and it was like I was riding in a 1980's Buick or something. Just seemed weird they'd set it to fluffy, then gripe about it being that way. But whatever. Either way, you'll be getting a ton of fun. I don't think there's a bad 600 made these days - you can practically buy them based on what color you want and still come out with a great bike.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Originally posted by garry
I believe the J&J Cycle Sales in Port Huron, OH still has some 2005 ZX-6Rs in the crate. They are selling them for $7299 plus $330 freight/prep. That's where I got my 2005 from. If nothing else, maybe you can use their ad on CycleTrader.com for a little negotiating leverage. How do they end up adding $1200 to the price of the bike to get the OTD price? That's a hell of a lot of taxes and fees...

BTW, the ZX-6R makes a great bike for twisties and track. Given a chance to do it again, I'd probably go with the Triumph 675 or GSXR 750 for a bit more torque, but they both are/were selling for close to MSRP, not heavily discounted like the 2005 leftover I bought.
My intent was to get a 675, and I found a red one for a shade under MSRP - but sitting on it, I realized there actually is such a thing as too skinny for me. I've been digging the skinny trend, but that one just went too far for me -- felt like my knees were going to touch each other. Very nice bike though.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i got my 06 zx6r for 8200 out the door. and the 6rr only retails for 200 more the the zx6r. not knowning ur area, but in my area i would def get them to sell it to u out the door for 89-- or so then id say be all over it

·
Registered
307 Posts
It's cheaper to buy the rr if you're trying to make the 6r work like the rr. It runs about 1000 more to bring the r up to the rr standards. If it's twisties and track you want then the rr is the bike for you and me. As you can see I have the rr and it runs the twisties like it was built to do, all day long.

green the only way to flllyyy![:p][^]:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.