Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 636 right now, that i might be getting rid of in the near fututre. its under my ex girlfriends name, and shes bein difficult to say the least. so it may be goin back to her. but i'm moving to new york this winter, so i'm thinking about saving up during the winter and when spring opens in new york and i can ride again just buying a brand new bike.

my question is whats the best bike to get, i'm thinking upgrading, i really like the look of the r1 the new zx10 doesnt do it for me, the front end looks dumb to me. what do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not to answer your question with a question-BUT:

What do you mean by "upgrade"??

If you want more power but the same handling I'd look hard at a GSXR750 or Ducati 848.

If you must have a liter bike (I do) the 04-05 ZX10 was pretty amazing. Any of the recent CBR1000's 04-07 were fantastic all around bikes. The R1's are all pretty but you have to plan to sink some money into Powercommanders, exhaust and some suspension tuning in order to get them to feel as good as your 636 did as far as rideability.

If you want just stinkin' huge balls power buy the new CBR1000 and just don't ever look at it from the side....

Is this bike for all around or track or for taking the new girlfriend out?? Hard to beat some of the sport touring platforms out there for comfort and zooming around with some pretty thing on the back-and if you have the skill you can hang with 99% of your buddies on their supersports.

Why not just buy another 636?? It's a fantastic bike and you already know a fair amount about it.

Just a few things for you to think about. We're very lucky, this is a fantastic time to be a motorcycle consumer-just don't limit yourself!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was considering upgrading to bigger bike, 1000. I would love to keep the bike i have, and if i do have to get rid of it and another presented itself i would get another 636 in a heartbeat. i was just looking for different options. I guess i was just looking for a new bike because i dont know if i can trust buying a used one. and some of the new bikes just look horrid, the new zx6r looks real good, but dont know if i want to go down to 600 when i'm used to the 636, not sure how big the difference would be.
thanks for the input, i'll keep looking around just wanted to get some other peoples advice before i make my choice

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
^^^ what he said.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I've got a R1 08 model and its great around town, 1st gear is abit tall but thats not a problem. The stock bike is a great packaging I dont have pipes or a PC. I had to adjust my suspesion but you have to do that with every bike. So IMO getting an R1 is a good upgrade, get one you'll never regret it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so its official, i'm giving my 636 back to the horrible ex. so what else out there is comparable? i like the look of the 08 gsxr 750, but i want somethin like the 636 so i dont have to adjust to much to riding. what do you guys think

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
fuck the gixxers. get the 636 back.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Have you ridden a liter bike? I don't mean around the block-I mean in your normal routine-to and from work-or in the canyons or at the track-you know-some get to know you time-that kinda ridden??

I have both and every time I climb on my RC51 I have the same thought-this thing is a friggin' cannon. It's a fun thought-but I've owned the bike for four years now. When I ride in the hills (what my bikes spend most their life doing)the RC51 is great-but if I just want to relax and ride with friends-I take the 636. I can pick up the throttle when I want, I can ride in the back, I can just enjoy myself-and I have friends who race, so it's not like we're just creeping along. And my RC51 is great and all-but it's old fat and slow compared to an 08 liter bike from any of the big four.

My point is this-an CBRGSXRZX whatever in 1000cc is a monster these days. No other way to say it. If you're looking at an 08'-dude you'd better have a serious helping of reality setting in about who you are and how you ride. It's a quarter twist of the throttle and you've already forgotten what 600 power felt like. Done many wheelies?? Do you clutch wheelie?? Most guys (not all-just most new to liter bike guys) who try to clutch wheelie a liter bike flip it-plain and simple-I've watched it happen-repeatedly.

You have the option of some FANTASTIC motorcycles and I know you'll be thrilled with whatever you choose-and please post!! I'm enjoying watching you decide-but dude-do not get a liter bike just cause you think it's time to step up-get one because you've decided that motorcycling is now something completely different for you-cause that's what these monsters are.

Just remember-guys here on KF talk about doing 120 or whatever on their 600's. 120 is 2nd gear on a liter bike-it's a total non event-you could do it in town between signal lights-if you were stupid enough. And that's part of the problem-you climb on-you're feeling good-it's Friday or whatever and BAM that motorcycle takes you too a place you've never been-in about 5 seconds.

Not saying you can't handle it -not running you down at all. I'm just saying if you're one of those "I just want to push it a little to see what the bike can do" stick with a 600-it can do plenty, and unless we start seeing you on Sundays on SPEED, it will continue to do plenty as long as you ride.

Good luck!!:D

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Have you ridden a liter bike? I don't mean around the block-I mean in your normal routine-to and from work-or in the canyons or at the track-you know-some get to know you time-that kinda ridden??

I have both and every time I climb on my RC51 I have the same thought-this thing is a friggin' cannon. It's a fun thought-but I've owned the bike for four years now. When I ride in the hills (what my bikes spend most their life doing)the RC51 is great-but if I just want to relax and ride with friends-I take the 636. I can pick up the throttle when I want, I can ride in the back, I can just enjoy myself-and I have friends who race, so it's not like we're just creeping along. And my RC51 is great and all-but it's old fat and slow compared to an 08 liter bike from any of the big four.

My point is this-an CBRGSXRZX whatever in 1000cc is a monster these days. No other way to say it. If you're looking at an 08'-dude you'd better have a serious helping of reality setting in about who you are and how you ride. It's a quarter twist of the throttle and you've already forgotten what 600 power felt like. Done many wheelies?? Do you clutch wheelie?? Most guys (not all-just most new to liter bike guys) who try to clutch wheelie a liter bike flip it-plain and simple-I've watched it happen-repeatedly.

You have the option of some FANTASTIC motorcycles and I know you'll be thrilled with whatever you choose-and please post!! I'm enjoying watching you decide-but dude-do not get a liter bike just cause you think it's time to step up-get one because you've decided that motorcycling is now something completely different for you-cause that's what these monsters are.

Just remember-guys here on KF talk about doing 120 or whatever on their 600's. 120 is 2nd gear on a liter bike-it's a total non event-you could do it in town between signal lights-if you were stupid enough. And that's part of the problem-you climb on-you're feeling good-it's Friday or whatever and BAM that motorcycle takes you too a place you've never been-in about 5 seconds.

Not saying you can't handle it -not running you down at all. I'm just saying if you're one of those "I just want to push it a little to see what the bike can do" stick with a 600-it can do plenty, and unless we start seeing you on Sundays on SPEED, it will continue to do plenty as long as you ride.

Good luck!!:D
Totally understand where MikeT is coming from. I've ridden an 08 GSX1K for about 1/8 mile. Opened the throttle maybe about 1/10th of the way in 1st,lol. I could just sense the power, all i could think was, man there is no reason 1k's should be street legal,lol. I love my 600 & would LOVE to ride a 636. While i want to move up to a 1K eventually, I'm sure my 6 has more than enough to keep me happy for the next couple of years.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for your input there MIKE T. as i think about it more and more i think the liter bike would be too much for me! not to sound like a girl but my 636 still gives me a scare every now and again. i'm leaning to the gsxr 750, i guess because (maybe its mental) but i would feel like i would be downgradin or be missin something if i go to a 600. judge if you will.
but i'm going to do a lil more research and see what i can get into, i'll probably be doing alot of of it, because i'm moving to new york and wont be able to ride hear come winter time. but i will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I know this is "kawi forums" and all but I have to say it. I love a 750 cc machine. I swear it is the perfect combo of both power and handeling. Best of both worlds. The thing I don't like about it is that Suzuki has been the only one makeing a 750 for so long that there's nothing to "one up" them. They don't have to try that hard to stay on top or at least close to it. I would love to see a ZX8R come out :D and manhandle the GSXR.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok well the my 636 is gone, had to give back to the ex. so i'm currently saving up for the 08 gsxr 750. i'll be in new york for the winter so i wont be able to ride much anyways. plenty of time to save. thanks for yalls help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts