Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in Virginia Beach and I'm considering a purchase of an black 08 650R with a little under 500 miles on it. It comes with a dealer maintenance plan to cover the first 6 scheduled appointments. The maintenance plan from the dealership is $795.

The seller is asking $6400.

I'm torn. I found a dealership in NY selling them for 5499 - of course that's about 8hrs away..

I've seen the bike and it's in mint condition.

What to do?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Try to find out the out-the-door price from the NY dealer so you can compare prices properly.
How would you collect the bike from NY?
Will you need to rent a truck and a motel room?
Calculate your total acquisition cost for each scenario for a logical decision :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try to find out the out-the-door price from the NY dealer so you can compare prices properly.
How would you collect the bike from NY?
Will you need to rent a truck and a motel room?
Calculate your total acquisition cost for each scenario for a logical decision :)
Total OTD from NY is $6304 (5499 + Freight + Prep).
Shipping from NY is $500.

6804 or (6400 w/maintenance plan). I guess it's a no brainer.

There was also another dealership in Delaware, out the door price of 6300 which sounded high until I just got the OTD from NY Motorcycle.

Maybe I should offer the 6400 w/maintenance plan 6300?

-Chris

·
Registered
183 Posts
Remember, price isn't everything;
a supportive, well staffed dealership who gives loyalty discounts & occasional free labor might be worth paying a bit more up front ~It's true, there are dealers like that :)
You just need to seek out the smaller shops that know their customers by name.
If your situation requires the absolute lowest net price, then just focus on that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I offered 6100 and he countered with 6200.

That would put the bike at 5400, since the maintenance plan cost 800.

Any last words of wisdom?

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
That seems like a good deal, I tend to void my warranty ASAP and do all my own work, so it's not a big deal to me, but $5,400 for a minty '08 thats only had two tanks of gas through it is a pretty decent deal.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If it's a bike you love then get it! You could be riding soon :)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I'd say go for it. Here in So Cal, new 07s are $7500 OTD, non-negotiable even for a 3-peat customer like me. Of course, the OTD price here includes everything (tax, title, license, assembly, markup, whatever).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts