Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is like my second season riding sportbikes, and i have only had the zx6r. Prior to riding 600's I rode street bikes smaleer than 600 cc.

I am considering of moving up to a liter bike. I have ridden my buddies 04 10 r a couple of times, and i can handle it pretty nice. We all know that it takes time to get to know a bike. I ride my 6r now, and I can keep up pretty nice with my other friends who have liter bikes.

I dont know if I should wait another year and than get a liter bike, or just get one. I like to call myself a pretty cautios rider, but I understand that when it comes to liter bikes caution is not always all that you need to protect you from disaster.

The reason I want a liter bike is for the looks purpose, the fact that I dont have to wring the neck of a 600 to get on an on-ramp etc. I just feel that if I had a liter bike, I wouldnt be wanting to trade to something newer every year, just bcause a new 600 has 5 extra hp. I hate suzuki so 750 is outta question.

My buddies 04 10r does scare me a bit. He has 174 hp I think on his bike. He runs a lot at the track, so it is extremely wicked. I rode my friends r1 however, and they seem to be slower. I think.

Again, I just wanted to know as to what you experienced folks have to say, as to my decision. Again, I will tell you right now that I will probably not be using all the power of a liter bike. My buddy with a 10r keeps insisting that I get a 10 r, and says that I am ready for it. I am also considering the 07 r1.

Thanx for any input good or bad.

Z.

·
Registered
232 Posts
What up, I cant imagine that youd have a hard time with a liter bike, you can ride any liter bike like its a 250. Just dont be stupid and youll be fine. I am in my 3rd year or riding, and ive had a 06 10r since feb. Its been awesome, and yea its scary as shit sometimes, but like i said...dont be stupid, and youll stay alive.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I would go for the 07 R1 myself. With 1000cc bikes its not really how much power you got. Unless you're a drag racer. But for a roadracer I would take the new R1.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I absolutely love my 06 zx-10r. There are quite a few changes to the R1 for 2007 though so you may want to wait until more details are released to make a decision.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Since you already have a bike maybe its better for you to wait until more info about the new 07 models is released.1000cc don't kill you, stupidity and bad luck kills you!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am actually planning to wait till next year anyways. I had a blast riding my buddies 10r though. It is so smooth to cruise with as well.
Thanx for the feedback.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I went from a 06 ZX-6R to a 06 GSX-R1000 this year and I'm in love with my liter bike. It is truly a different world. I know 600's have their advantages on the track but the liter is better on the street, at least for me.

G

·
Originally posted by SubHuman<br> I know 600's have their advantages on the track but the liter is better on the street, at least for me.
agreed. i sold my bike a few days ago and will say right now my next one wont be another 600. since i didnt really have any fun with my 636 on mostly straight roads here, ima give a liter a try. ive ridden a couple already and it is really nice only needing the first 2 gears on the street :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was in the same position as you...second season riding a 600 (636 for me) and always looking at the liters as it was the bike I wanted. I just traded up a few weeks ago to a 10R and I'm glad I did. SubHuman states it best. It is a different world.

As you're already a cautious rider the liter won't bite hard. Just respect the bike and all will be good.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Every time I get on my GXSR1000 Its just like getting in a muscle car. I say this as a muscle car owner and I love it. The power is amazing and I can keep the bike in 1st gear all around town. Hit the gas in fist and talk about throttle response! Drive one to see if it's right for you but you will be hooked on the power for sure. These bikes are insanely fast though, and that's no joke. It's almost too easy to go to fast. 140-150 MPH is what 100-110 MPH is on a 600. Im hooked. I will own my bike for a long time. I can't see how anyone could want more than this on the street.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree. The liter bikes have great power. They seem to be very smooth around town as well. I have 4 friends that ride 10r's and love them, but i think i am gonna try and get the 07 r1. I know that it is slower than the 10r's but i really like its looks. Hopefully sometime next year.

·
Registered
520 Posts
You can't go wrong with any of the big four liter bikes. Get whatever you like and fits you best. They all have more than enough power.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I have been thinking about this too. You work harder on the 636 to keep up with the liter bikes. I do a lot of HWY ridding not to many twisties. Eventually I'll be on a liter bike, for now I am loving the 05 636!

·
28,939 Posts
picking up my 10 tomorrow!!!! cant fricken wait, its all i can think about.

i had 19,500 miles on the clock on my 636 when i got rid of her last week. would have been more but i bought an old house and got married this year which cut into my two-wheel therapy.

i LOVED my 636 but as mentioned above for street riding you cant beat the extra torque of the liters. i think the torque is a bigger reason for my getting one than the extra hp. i mean the 636 needs its neck wrung to spin up some ponies and i seemed to always be riding it at 8-10k rpms just to ensure the power was there when i wanted it. if you do a lot of track days the 636 is the weapon of choice, but for a dedicated daily rider with a part time track gig liter is the way.

just my thoughts...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Originally posted by playindagamewell
I agree. The liter bikes have great power. They seem to be very smooth around town as well. I have 4 friends that ride 10r's and love them, but i think i am gonna try and get the 07 r1. I know that it is slower than the 10r's but i really like its looks. Hopefully sometime next year.
I wouldn't say it is slower yet as there have been no comparison testing between the new crop of litre bikes. From what is out there for information, the new R1 is going to be up another 5 ponies over last year with a significant boost in mid-range grunt due to the new valve and fuel injection configurations. And next to the new duc 1098, it is the nicest looking bike out there.

Personally, I'm waiting to see what kawi has to offer in '08 for a litre bike. If they follow the 600's new styling, it will be hard to resist.

·
28,939 Posts
Originally posted by TurboWill
I loved my Zx-6r, I love my zx-10r more though!
+1
:D

and to the guy above lookin at the 07 r1. it looks sweet and the specs look sweet too, but remember its a completely new bike. and i dont know about u but i dont trust yamaha to stand behind there stuff as good as they should. not tryin to bash, but they have had some problems in the past with atvs/bikes and didnt do jack for the consumer. i was in the same boat as you and was leaning towards the new r1. after some thought though, i stayed with the masterbike proven kawi.

if you do get the r1 though try to wait till the bike rags do some reviews so you can get some "unbiased" feedback.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Originally posted by eimajnacnud

Personally, I'm waiting to see what kawi has to offer in '08 for a litre bike. If they follow the 600's new styling, it will be hard to resist.
I must say I would agree here, the new 2007 ZX6-R styling is just
adorable.

I like the rear end, which I think is the best looking rear ends I've ever seen on a bike. And remember, usually people only see your rear end.
:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts