Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed with the heat like it has been for the last month or so, I'll be fine on the highways. But as soon as I hit Interstate, I can feel the heat off the pavement cooking my shins. I wear a pair of Bates Enforcer 8" boots all the time on the bike, and when riding my pants ride up just to the top of them. On some days, its almost unbearable, and I'll have red spots on my shins for a few hours after I get home. Almost like a first degree burn. Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks,
GunRunner

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,423 Posts
Originally posted by GunRunner
I've noticed with the heat like it has been for the last month or so, I'll be fine on the highways. But as soon as I hit Interstate, I can feel the heat off the pavement cooking my shins. I wear a pair of Bates Enforcer 8" boots all the time on the bike, and when riding my pants ride up just to the top of them. On some days, its almost unbearable, and I'll have red spots on my shins for a few hours after I get home. Almost like a first degree burn. Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks,
GunRunner
I've heard from a few buddies I know that rode out in Vegas for a few years that it's like that all the time in the summer. Don't really have that problem here in FL. Even though it feels more sweltering and miserable in the summers here than a 115 day in NV or northern Cali, we don't have the raw dry heat that burns you. It was 124 in the grandstands just off the track surface at Laguna Seca, and I hardly noticed the heat because of how miserable FL gets in the heat of summer (I mean, yeah, it was hot as fuck, but it didn't seem THAT hot), but our highs are usually mid to upper 90's...almost never breaks 100...but it'll be 95 degrees and 80% humidity. THAT sucks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
that aint the heat from the pavement its the friggin heat commin off the engine, and since the air is so hot its makin it 10 times worse. i wont even ride during the day because of that.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by modcrazy
that aint the heat from the pavement its the friggin heat commin off the engine, and since the air is so hot its makin it 10 times worse. i wont even ride during the day because of that.
Thats what I thought at first, but its not the inside of my legs, its the front that gets hot, and its only while on Interstate, not the regular Highways...

And my bike stays the same temps running the Highways and Interstate...explain that...

GunRunner

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
[:Agree]hell yeah! long socks definitely keep you cooler. i rode in shorts one time when i had just bought the bike. i was more comfortable in jeans, if not just for preventing all that heat from rolling over my legs

·
Registered
240 Posts
maybe you can try riding in a speedo for a more breezy feel...but don't forget to wear a helmet, cause that's just dangerous

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That just seems weird, cuase I only notice it on interstate where there is more traffic...and I run the same speeds on the highway also...and its not the inside of my legs that get hot, just the front of my shins...I use to have a problem with the inside of my right leg getting hot from the ZZR I use to own, but not this 6R...

GunRunner

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the same problem and it is the heat off of the exhaust. We live in Tx. where it is 90+ every day, its just something that you are going to have to get used to

·
Registered
240 Posts
it's definately straight off the headers...i hear that putting exhaust wrap on them will not only improve the power and let everything run a little cooler, it can also help with shin burn. if you want more info on that(like where to buy) or if you've heard otherwise post back.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Just one of the reasons I wear my Sidi Vertebra 2's everywhere I go on my bike. I figure that with an ambient temp of 115#730; F, engine coolant temp is 235#730; F, asphalt temp is somewhere around 180#730; F, so throw a little +600#730; F heat from the headers and cat into the mix and I might as well wrap myself in aluminum foil and tell my wife to have the sour cream and butter waiting for when I get home.

When wearing my Sidi's my feet and legs do get hot but not that hot. On summer's hottest days I will get home and the soles of my feet will feel like I've been walking on fire (or at least what I imagine it must feel like) otherwise everything else is just a little hot. The heat problem on the soles of my feet appears to be directly related to the location of the catalytic converter as my ZX is the only bike I ride that I have this problem on.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Long socks helped me. I have some Under Armour socks, and some Alpinestars socks I wear with my boots. I mix it up, they both seem to make things nicer.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But I still think its odd though....here is my daily ride from work...15 miles of Hwy, no noticed heat problems...26 miles on Interstate (same speed, same eng temp) and as soon as I get on I-20, my shins start cooking...then onto another Hwy, 11 more miles home (same temp, speed etc...) and no burning sensation...I ONLY feal it on Interstate....go figure...

GunRunner

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
get asbestos socks. seriously though, get the nomex socks that race car drivers wear under thier suits, they are designed to absorb heat for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have had the same issue, I just put my knees out just to check and make sure it is coming from the exhaust... and it is. The road doesn't get as hot.. you should try it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.