Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike had a coolant leak a few days ago and i think i rode it about 15 miles without noticing the coolant had all leaked out and now after fixing the leak and filling it up with coolant and changing the oil it now wont start and the oil glass showed it was full and milky looking. I drained the oil and i notice theres a bit of coolant coming out to, my guess is blown head gaskets but im not sure, do you all think thats it or something else?

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
That would be my guess. It doesn't take much to forge a way from a coolant passageway into the combustion chamber :p . Try doing a leak down test (find someone who has a leak down tester). That'll help you find a blown head gasket STAT!

BTW have you pulled your spark plugs and looked at them?

·
Registered
349 Posts
My bike had a coolant leak a few days ago and i think i rode it about 15 miles without noticing the coolant had all leaked out and now after fixing the leak and filling it up with coolant and changing the oil it now wont start and the oil glass showed it was full and milky looking. I drained the oil and i notice theres a bit of coolant coming out to, my guess is blown head gaskets but im not sure, do you all think thats it or something else?
Sounds like a headgasket to me. What year is your bike? We need some more info.

·
LOST HIS RIDE
926 Posts
You guessed right hopefully you didn't crack the engine block or head, very exspensive:mad:

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Sounds like a headgasket to me. What year is your bike? We need some more info.
Year is irrelevant. He could blow a head gasket on an '87 gixxer and it'd do the same thing. Luckilly changing the head gaskets on these shouldn't be that bad. :D. Maybe while you're there some head-work would be in order??

... Although having the fastest 250 around is like winning the special Olympics :p

·
Registered
52 Posts
My vote is for a cracked head. Generally speaking oil in water is the gasket water in oil is the head or cylinder wall. Way too much pressure for the coolant to get into the cylinder while it's running. Any way if he has a compressor pull a plug and get it to TDC on the compression stroke. put the air to it. and see where the noise comes from. We used to do that to quickly check for burned valves and gaskets.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's a 2007 and yes i was going to change the plugs earlier today incase something was wrong with them but they looked almost brand new when i took them out so i put them back in. I started it earlier and rode it about a mile to make sure the bike wouldn't overheat and it was fine then but i was about to take it out tonight i noticed the glass to check the oil showed it was to full so i drained some out and coolant came out instead of oil first. Im hoping its just a gasket and nothing more.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Year is irrelevant. He could blow a head gasket on an '87 gixxer and it'd do the same thing. Luckilly changing the head gaskets on these shouldn't be that bad. :D. Maybe while you're there some head-work would be in order??

... Although having the fastest 250 around is like winning the special Olympics :p
If it was a newer bike - like it is - it could makes things different since newer motors don't tend to blow a gasket that quickly. It obviously happens, though.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My vote is for a cracked head. Generally speaking oil in water is the gasket water in oil is the head or cylinder wall. Way too much pressure for the coolant to get into the cylinder while it's running. Any way if he has a compressor pull a plug and get it to TDC on the compression stroke. put the air to it. and see where the noise comes from. We used to do that to quickly check for burned valves and gaskets.
my first thought too, good call. it could have started with a blown gasket, then overheated or it could be as simple as a loose hose clamp. j

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it overheated without me knowing the coolant had all leaked out. I changed the old oil and it was only 300 miles old but very black and burnt smelling. I tried starting it a few minutes ago and i heard a light pop noise the first crank and it wont turn over, im taking it to the dealer next week and might just let them see if they think its a gasket and they can change it out. Im getting tired of messing with it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im sure this will burn a hole in my wallet, but im not skilled enough to start tearing the engine apart and risk F****** up something beyond repair. I guess ignorance costs a pretty penny.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ill go check in a minute, i've been researching for an hour and everyone else with coolant in oil says its a blown gasket so im hoping its not anything worse than that.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
it wouldnt budge in first but after flicking it between first and neutral it rolled in first then after switching back and forth again it wouldnt move and it would roll so on and so forth...... edit: I just tried starting it and it will crank but it just never starts so its not seized, it just wont start no matter how much choke i give it.. I dont know what it is so ill just wait until next week.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
doesnt have warranty, i can try and start it and it cranks but it just wont start, im not going to mess with it in fear of tearing it up any more , ill let the mechanic deal with it.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
yikes, you might want to start looking for a used motor on ebay. Probably less to swap in a known good motor than paying a dealer to rebuild yours, Or worse pay them to tear it apart only to find out you spent a couple of hundered to diagnose a condition known as FUBAR. Plus if your are even marginally skilled a total swap isn't too bad. Just mark and unplug everything, Un hook hoses, Unbolt and remove, Install in the reverse order. BTW If you're going to do that go buy a torque wrench and a factory service manual. It has procedures listed along with all relevent torque specs...

·
Registered
558 Posts
hey what does the insurance company do with all the good motors from all the ninja 250s that have been totaled with less that 1000 miles? do they just go to auction?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I hope it just a gasket...this has potential to get expensive fast. As suggest by someone else, ebay or salvage yard motor might be best bet.

My new sig line. :D Well maybe not...but still thought it was funny.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts