Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently finished up my build and got to riding the bike this week, after 100 miles or so i noticed the coolant overflow level was lower then i had set it to but temps have been averaging 140-160 most of the time then 180 when i catch all the red lights, have been searching for leaks by letting it idle while checking for leaks or after riding.
Today i swapped out the water pipe o ring which didn't solve my issue, then made sure to tighten the hose clamps on all attachment points to "torque spec" or higher.
Oil doesn't look to be milky bike idles, rides really nicely.
Thinking it might be oil cooler o-ring?
It's a very slow leak as i did 50 miles and only dropped a small amount as shown in one of the photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Congrats and happy riding :)

The coolant level indication is very inclanation sensitive, I would keep riding and checking it for a couple of days or weeks to see if there is indeed a continuous leak.

Also keep in mind that when the coolant hits a hot surface it eminates a sweet, characteristic smell.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats and happy riding :)

The coolant level indication is very inclanation sensitive, I would keep riding and checking it for a couple of days or weeks to see if there is indeed a continuous leak.

Also keep in mind that when the coolant hits a hot surface it eminates a sweet, characteristic smell.
I've been putting it in the same spot and my garage on the rear-stand when checking so should be the same angle, and each time I ride it seems to continually go down.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And about the coolant smell that's why I'm confused cause I can't smell anything but it'll still be dropping and bike runs perfectly cool for temps.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
And about the coolant smell that's why I'm confused cause I can't smell anything but it'll still be dropping and bike runs perfectly cool for temps.
Slow leaks like these can be tricky to pinpoint. I am not sure what to propose apart from checking the hoses and their joints. In any case, don't try to overfill the coolant reservoir because it may spit the excess on the engine. I hope you find the leak asap!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slow leaks like these can be tricky to pinpoint. I am not sure what to propose apart from checking the hoses and their joints. In any case, don't try to overfill the coolant reservoir because it may spit the excess on the engine. I hope you find the leak asap!
Thanks, yeah i tightened the hose clamps up to what the manual says and was actually loose there so gonna go for a ride in a bit then see, but the only other thing i'm guessing could be leaking is the oil cooler as i removed it to split the case and didn't see that there was a bolt torque order so i just put them to torque spec in a random order. Taped some paper towels to the inside of belly fairings so i can see if there's any drops after the ride lol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got out for a decent little 175 mile ride today got up to 210 in city and sitting around but was at 140-160 most of the ride and my bike is almost cooled off completely and the coolant level looks like it'll return to where I started at, where before after a 50 mile ride it would drop past previous point even before cooled off so looks like it was just loose radiator hose clamps. Now it looks even better personally because I know it has no issues haha.

Thanks for the input @GR rider

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It may have had a bit of air in the cooling system somewhere that has now been purged.
Possibly but don't think so since i ran it for a little bit with cap off to bleed it and then when it went down the first time i filled it and it went down again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Possibly but don't think so since i ran it for a little bit with cap off to bleed it and then when it went down the first time i filled it and it went down again.
Hi.

Still, you might have some air in there. Did you tap the hoses when filling new coolant?

Enviado desde mi DUB-LX3 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi.

Still, you might have some air in there. Did you tap the hoses when filling new coolant?

No didn't tap the lines normally worked well for me to just run the bike for 30 seconds to a minute with no cap on to bleed it but it is a different system so maybe that won't work as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When i did mine, had to tap every hose and do the running engine thing several times until not a single bublle came out xd

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok maybe it's just that, still seems to be going down, I still see no leaks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, turned out to just be air escaping for a while. Now that that's solved and my suspension setup is fixed. I have to drop motor to reseal crankcase -_-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts