Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to drain the coolant on my '06 zx-6R. I hate the fact that this overflow tank is located in a tight space and you have to remove a bunch of stuff (not like my zx-10 anyway). The service manual says I have to remove the fuel tank to remove the coolant overflow tank and I DO NOT want to do that much work (I'd rather pay a dealership to change it. I removed the fairings and I see the cap for the coolant tank but I can't get to it. Does anyone know how to get to the coolant reserve tank without removing a bunch of crap? Can I lift up the gas tank to get to it? If so how many bolts do I remove? Thanks [?]

·
Registered
23 Posts
take off the seat and loosen up the two side bolts and the bolt in front of the tank then prop up your gas tank with something and down on the left is the cap for the coolant thats it i had to figure out how when i took out the battery for winter

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know how to drain the overflow tank then? What you told me helps me fill it up, but the service manual doesn't tell you how to drain the overflow tank, only how to remove it (and then pour it out).

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had that same problem. What i ended up doing was loosening the wire clamp at the bottom of the overflow tank and let all the coolant drain. So basically all the coolant drains but is really messy because its gets all inside the engine compartment. Also its quite difficult to put that clamp back on since the space is tight. I hope there is a better way than that.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
44,665 Posts
After you get the seat and plastics off and the tank propped up, it's just 2 more bolts and you have to disconnect the hoses and it pops right out and you just drain it. I know it's a PITA but unless you have some sort of siphon, I don't see how else you can do it other than to make a mess as a previous post mentioned.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Fuck all that, get yourself a hand pump with a tube, stick her in their and start pumping that shit out, you can fill it up the same way.
$5 at a hardware store

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just did this on my '03 to change it to water wetter for a trackday, which it sounds like it's in the same retarded location as the 'O5/06 models

I disconnected the tube that goes from the radiator to the Overflow tank at the end where it connects by the radiator cap. You can then just siphon the stuff out. An easy way to do that is just take the spray nozzel portion of a plastic bottle (e.g. Windex) and stick the tube of that spray nozzle in the end of the overflow hose and start pumping. Comes right out.

You can reverse this process and spray directly into the hose also, but I think lifting the tank slightly is easier to fill it.

g

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.