Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im gettn ready to change the coolant in my 00 zx6r. I can no longer find the green coolant anymore. What else can i use. Is it safe to use the antifreeze that is supposed to mix with any color. Or shld i just go with engine ice or something?

·
Pursebully
37,528 Posts
You're not looking in the right places. Any auto parts store should have the green stuff.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
As I understand you're not supposed to use car coolant in motorcycles due to a particular additive which is bad for seals or something.

I'm sure this has been discussed,

If you change to a diff type of coolant, you're supposed to flush, rinse, then fill.
--> I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

·
Pursebully
37,528 Posts
As I understand you're not supposed to use car coolant in motorcycles due to a particular additive which is bad for seals or something.

I'm sure this has been discussed,

If you change to a diff type of coolant, you're supposed to flush, rinse, then fill.
--> I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.
Yeah...I'm going to go ahead and say this is incorrect.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry, researched quick to get my facts right.
Many auto coolants have "silicates" which are added as a corrosion inhibitor, but are bad for the water pump seal.

Additionally, mixing different types of coolants is no good. (Mixing ethylene glycol with dexcool for example causes them to sludge together and no longer flow)

My bad.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Prestone 50/50 has no additives that will hurt anything, it is good for all engine types, and it is compliant with what my service manual says comes standard in the bike:

And the Owner's Manual only says the following:
"Use a permanent type of antifreeze
(soft water and ethylene glycol plus cor
rosion
and rust inhibitor chemicals for
aluminum
engines and radiators) in the
cooling system"

Attachments

·
Pursebully
37,528 Posts
Sorry, researched quick to get my facts right.
Many auto coolants have "silicates" which are added as a corrosion inhibitor, but are bad for the water pump seal.

Additionally, mixing different types of coolants is no good. (Mixing ethylene glycol with dexcool for example causes them to sludge together and no longer flow)

My bad.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
No big deal.

Prestone 50/50 has no additives that will hurt anything, it is good for all engine types, and it is compliant with what my service manual says comes standard in the bike:
Perfectly fine for bikes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts