Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i left for work on my bike this morning and it was starting to rain. While i was on my way i looked down and seen smoke comming up from under my handle bars so i desided to turn back home. When i got home i smelled a bit of radiator fluid and inspected my radiator. I realized the smoke comming up was from it being so cold outside(was about 50F). But why would i smell radiator fluid then?? I seen no leaks of anykind and my reserve take was filled to the full line. Also when i looked at my reserve i noticed a white milky looking buildup at the bottom of the tank. Am i crazy or is this serious???? Help plz

Thanks

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
if you can't see any cracks in your rad i wouldn't worry about it.
if your tank was completely full then what you smelled was prob some fluid coming out of the overflow hose. you could always take it for another ride and see if you have the same issue.
doesn't sound like the end of the world though

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't steam coming up from the exhaust headers after the water was hitting it?
Any time I've gotten caught in the rain, or went to wash the bike with the engine hot, there is a distinctive smell from the cold water hitting the hot pipes, hoses, etc...
Think this might be what you experienced?

As far as the build up in the overflow tank, I found the same shit. Took it back to the dealer, they took her apart, found no leaks of any kind, and flushed the entire system. Nothing has come back yet, and hopefully it won't.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
a couple of people noticed build up in their rad tanks. i think it's just residue or fluid building up. nothing serious, just flush it

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just experianced the same thing. I think it was coming from the overflow hose. But why is it doing this? I haven't changed the level of fluid and it couldn't have been overheating..it's canada..it's cold up here now...lol

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
MichiganWheelie, i don't think not doing anything will result in anything bad, so you should be fine.
SMOKINZX6, it might be overflowing if you have the tank completely full. if it's about halfway it won't overflow and i think that's where it should be

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.