Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Ninja ZX-6R
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one key that came with a zx6r I bought recently which has been bent and bent back due to a stuck gas cap. I'm more careful with the key now, but fear breaking this key. I called a Kawasaki dealership about cutting copies and they said it's not possible and that I'd have to buy a new ignition and gas cap which would be pretty cheap $60, plus labor time to install (DIY). Not terrible, but I don't understand why cutting a copy is isn't possible. The guy at the dealership seemed to base his answer on the year. When I mentioned 2005 he said no, but it seems as though with a more recent model it would have been possible.

Is there a way to cut a copy of my 2005 zx6r key?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe 2005-2006 models have the security transponder system hence why you should have two black keys and one red. The red enables copies to be made. Hence it's a whole new ECU/Immobilizer to have new keys cut.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Ninja ZX-6R
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh wow. Alright. Thank you both for your replies. I wasn't quite sure where begin with this so this is very helpful!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I believe 2005-2006 models have the security transponder system hence why you should have two black keys and one red. The red enables copies to be made. Hence it's a whole new ECU/Immobilizer to have new keys cut.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
I don't think the usa version had the immobilizer ignition thing, i know mine didn't just got blanks off ebay and took it to a nearby hardware store and got a copy made.

·
Registered
2005 Ninja ZX-6R
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was able to order a blank using the link supplied above. Y'all are saviors. I love this forum haha. I don't know what I would have done if I lost or broke that one key (and it was definitely on its way out)

·
Registered
2005 Ninja ZX-6R
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts