Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought black marine grade vinyl and 1 inch thick memory foam and went to work. I know they look kinda like black marshmallows on my bike, but they are way more comfortable and I didn't even spend $50 on the stuff. I used the stock seats and some upholstery adhesive to stick the memory foam to them. I doubled up on the memory foam on the outside of the stock seats to give them a wider surface and better support. I also covered the little bump on the seat cowl in the vinyl to match. Here's the result:

·
Registered
289 Posts
did u staple the vinyl back to the seat itself on the bottom? just trying to figure out how to take those off, and then put them back in...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did u staple the vinyl back to the seat itself on the bottom? just trying to figure out how to take those off, and then put them back in...
Yeah, just get a heavy duty stapler and go to work. Start at one end, then go back and forth up each side and pull and staple to make it tight as you go around the edge. The corners kinda suck, but you'll get the hang of it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice work. How about a picture DIY? :)
I had planned on it...but the whole process wasn't pretty. It looks super bad until you pull the vinyl over it all. I just cut out general shapes in memory foam and started snipping away with scissors after I had the pieces glued to the stock seat. I got a decent shape, but the edges are real rough. Luckily, the rough parts are smoothed out with the vinyl.

·
Registered
647 Posts
it does look hella comfy but not so sporty like. i dont know its a thinker.

·
Registered
289 Posts
it does look hella comfy but not so sporty like. i dont know its a thinker.
thats the thing, its sweet for a sport bike because when your on it, you cant tell just by looking at it. I mean it wouldnt be good if you were just showing your bike off, but other than that it looks perfect.

·
Registered
647 Posts
yeah but it just looks all bubbly and funny if you werent on it. i dont know.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I dream of a really comfortable seat on mine. I'm considering handing over my seat and a gel pad to a local shop for "overhauling".

Anyone know if the gel that is used in seats can stand heat? My bike gets pretty hot sitting in the lot all day while I'm at work. Shaping on some memory foam and a leather cover over the stock certainly seems like a grand option now, though. Thanks!

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
hmmm... thinking about it for the 6... but i'm not sure about all that padding when I lean (not trying to say anything about you 2fiddys... it's just me). Maybe I'll buy an extra seat and try it there to see how it goes. Hmm... Cruising seat vs. carving seat?:Hmmmm:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just ordered some free samples. Ill let yall know if any of them are big enough to do this. You can google a search for free samples. I doubt they will be big enough but its worth a shot!!!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I'm just eating donuts and drinking beer to make my ass bigger. That way the seat don't matter. It's all in the ass (that really sounds sick).

·
Registered
254 Posts
definitely a go... I'm on my bike like 5 hrs a day. definitely awesome idea. thnx!

·
Registered
289 Posts
The seat just needs to be flatter to be comfortable..Adding to the front of the seat or subtracting from the rear of the seat seems to always take care of comfort ailments on most any motorcycle seat..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you don't care about fucking up your stock foam, I'd remove it completely and make your own memory foam cushion, then you could probably get away with using the stock seat cover.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts