Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Coming up on 900 miles on the '08. As you may know, this is my first motorcycle. I'm starting to play around on the corners a bit - using countersteering to really lean the bike (more than I need to) and to pull it back up again coming out of the turn. I love the sensation.

Can I assume that, given good traction, I'm going to run out of nerve before I lowside on this bike? I'm doing this at low speed, by the way - just around the round-abouts in my neighborhood and on isolated, sharp corners - no more than 35-45mph. I don't stick my knees out (I don't really know what that's all about), but my spidey sense is telling me that my toes are getting a bit close to the ground in some cases (big feet and big boots). As long as I'm not scraping stuff, and assuming good traction and barring mistakes (braking or downshifting hard while leaned over, that sort of thing), this is ok, right?

Also, I got one of these:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/digital-tire-pressure-gauge/roadgear-talking-gauge.htm

I was getting annoyed with my little analog 1.99 gauge, to the point where i was sometimes skipping pressure checks. This things actually talks to you - you don't even need to look at it - and the angled head makes it extremely easy to slip on to the valvue. Recommended for 20-ish bucks.

One last comment - the cagers around where I live are actually pretty good to me (knock on wood). Is this unusual? I'm surprised that I seem to get more respect on my bike then when in my car. No ones tailgaiting me, are engaging in other obnoxious behaviors. Folks are giving me a ton of space, waving me through intersections, yeilding the right of way, etc. I had a few incidents early on, but lately, I'm really impressed with the level of consideration I'm seeming to get around here (though I'm still vigilant) - is this unusual? I usually read complaints about car drivers, but I have none at this point.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i've had a small digital for a few years but it can't talk. much better than those old things with the stems that pop out.
waving you through intersections?? when they have the right of way? i never pull in front of a car or truck when they have the right of way, wave or not. why do they do that?j

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
When it's a tie :). I have a few four way stop sign intersection on my way to work, and when there's doubt as to who got there first, I get waved through more often than not. I know what you mean about folks waving people out into traffic and in front of some speeding car coming from behind them. I've seen many near accidents due to folks being "nice" and yeilding the right of way - I'm careful. about that, too.

I don't know why drivers seems pretty nice around here. I stay away from the big road-rage roads and highways - stick to the backroads. I mainly commute to work (suburbs) and to the recreation area where I run (more suburbs). Maybe it's the suburbs. Maybe they feel sorry for me. Or maybe they're just trying to lull me into a false sense of security...

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would assume that since you are not sticking your knee out that you are not hanging off or keeping your head and body way towards the inside edge of the bike. if you are keeping your body and head centered and not hanging off, then you WILL lean the bike to far and low side eventually. if you do hang off properly and learn the proper way to lock in your outside leg and release the pressure on your inside leg and both arms, then you will probably never run out of lean angle or traction. It feels very unatural at first, but keep trying an you will get used to it. check out TWIST OF THE WRIST 2 and also the california superbike school forums. good luck!

secondly, if your boots are getting close, then youre probably not riding on the balls of your feet like you should be.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I tell you, you will snap you foot in half if you don't keep your toes on the peg in corners. Try and keep you feet as close to the rearsets as possible. You will scrape hard parts before you learn good body position. Get you butt off where the crack of your a$$ is on the corner of the seat. If you have leathers and pucks stick your corner side knee out. You will be awesome in the corners with alittle practice.

·
Registered
175 Posts
One last comment - the cagers around where I live are actually pretty good to me (knock on wood). Is this unusual? I'm surprised that I seem to get more respect on my bike then when in my car. No ones tailgaiting me, are engaging in other obnoxious behaviors. Folks are giving me a ton of space, waving me through intersections, yeilding the right of way, etc. I had a few incidents early on, but lately, I'm really impressed with the level of consideration I'm seeming to get around here (though I'm still vigilant) - is this unusual? I usually read complaints about car drivers, but I have none at this point.
Shockingly, this has been the case for me as well. I try not to take in for granted though. I don't want to get lazy and stop paying attention.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Going slow through a corner and leaning too much = lowside.
It's the speed you carry through the corner that keeps the bike (and you) from falling over.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Going slow through a corner and leaning too much = lowside.
It's the speed you carry through the corner that keeps the bike (and you) from falling over.
So if you start falling over, rip the throttle :D and lean baby lean!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts