Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been as giddy as a little school girl this past week waiting for my -1/+2 sprockets and speedo healer to arrive and finally today they arrived. So I went to town working on my bike and within 20 min i had my new rear sprocket installed and so i figured om on easy street from here on out because every bike I have ever worked on up until this point (very few) has been a breeze to remove the front sprocket. So I get the front cover off and Im a bit disappointed to find a wierd looking nut holding it on but I'm still not very deterred. After about 5 min of digging through my toolbox I finally find a socket that fits and I proceed to attempt to remove the nut. I put every bit of muscle I had into my breaker bar and lifted the bike completely off the stand and never once did the sprocket nut even budge !! I even put all 240 lbs of my weight onto it and still nothing. Needless to say I finally gave up because I actually knocked my bike off the stand trying to break this nut from hell loose so I didnt want to damage my bike any. I still have the +2 rear sprocket installed and the speedo healer is on it and so far my satisfaction level is meteocre without the extra advantage of the -1 front sprocket. I cant feel much diff in acceleration but I can power up the front wheel in first gear now without the clutch and before I couldnt because of my weight. Second gear wheelies are getting easier but I still want my new front sprocket on it!!! I guess I will give the local bike shop a call and get them to do it since I dont have power tools. At this point I just want my new parts on so Im getting desparate. I never thought the front sprocket was so hard to remove or else I would have just had the shop do the whole job and save me the headache......... Just a little rant to blow off some steam............

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I took a chisel and bent it away from the nut. Im sure that with a good impact it will come right off but since Im no longer a mechanic I dont have access to an air compressor. I guess I just need to go buy a little one since I have air tools but thats down the road from now I have more important purchases to make. For now I will just take it to the bike shop and I bet in less than 30 min they will be done with it. Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the same problem so I took my bike to the Kaw dealer. They tried it too and told me the nut was siezed on there and it's not uncommon. The tech guy said it happened to his bike too. They said they would cut it off and order a new nut for me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how much did all that cost ya ? my bike is under warranty but im curious if it would cover the nut since i was trying to remove it without a legit reason. i guess i will ask the dealer tomorrow...........

·
Registered
28 Posts
dunno, they ordered the nut on saturday, and monday I was in an accident and wrecked the bike. Should be under an hour labor plus whatever the nut costs

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks I plan on calling the dealer in the am and talking with my sales rep who also is a tech there (wierd I know but he's actually their top mechanic along with doubling as a salesman ) Im sure I will end up just ordering a new nut since I marred it up anyhow and having them do the work for me. just one of the drawbacks of not working in a shop anymore.........

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Talked to the dealer a few min ago they stock the nut ($20) and they said it'll be about $35 to have it installed. Definately worth giving somebody else the headache so I'll be dropping it off in the am tomorrow..................

·
Registered
464 Posts
Dude, you realize you`re paying someone $40 to take off a nut for you... Thats a lot of $$$ for not very much work.

Did you try reverse? Its been a while since I pulled a front sprocket, but I seem to remember it was reverse threaded -maybe, don`t quote me on that.
If so, that would explain why when that guy took his bike to the dealer to get his nut removed they said it was seized, because he`d been crankin on it the wrong way and tightened it (seized it) when he was trying to loosen it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried it in both directions with a breaker bar and the wheel stabilized without it even budging. Seeing as how I'm still an ase certified auto technician I realize what I am paying for, but without the correct equipment to remove this nut I would rather pay someone with air tools and a torch to remove a nut that is already marred up rather than round it off and really be in a world of trouble. This is already a rather large nut ( it has 2 6 point surfaces 1 being 1 1/16 inch and the other being 1 1/4 )and I would imagine the torque specs are rather high also adding in the fact that is appears to be made of a soft material that would seize very easily to a heat treated shaft like the output shaft. I learned a long time ago it is better to take things to people with the correct tools rather than try to do it the hard way and mess something more expensive up. So yes for $40 I am willing to make it somebody elses headache because I really dont have the time to fiddle with it...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I put my -1 on about a month ago. I have a big 1/2" drive break over, came close to passing out from straining, but it wouldn't budge. Went and got my neighbors rattle gun and viola it came off. The threads are normal, its just tight as hell from the factory.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update, I got my bike back from the shop after 1 1/2 days of being there. My feelings are mixed about the -1/+2 setup. Acceleration is lightning fast, but wheelies dont seem much easier than with the +2 rear sprocket alone and there are the higher cruise rpm's to deal with. I think that once I have upgraded my engine to breathe better with a new exhaust, air filter, and carb recalibration, I will be happier with the combo. On the plus side the bike is still more fun to drive and the speedo healer is worth every penny and is so easy to program. Also now that I have the new -1 front sprocket installed I can always go back to the stock rear one easily if I wish.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
you should've used an impact gun. 2 seconds vrup vrup. done. I've changed my sprocket out 3 times already and had similar issues the first time I did it. My buddy took his impact gun out and 2 seconds later she was off.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I have an impact in my toolbox but no air compressor and the shop I used to work at is 45 min away and doesnt have a way to lift the bike without me bringing my stand with me which isnt possible. I manage a restaraunt and my time is very limited when it comes to being able to fix my own vehicles and I also live in ana apartment with no driveway or flat work area. When it comes to any major work I am pretty much screwed. Thats why I just took it to the shop because they have the right tools to do the job whereas I dont. I imagine now that they have replaced the nut I could probably remove it because Im sure they didnt get it as tight as the factory did. Regardless the experience is behind me now and Im ready to get more cool parts to put on it.........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.