Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1)Remove speed sensor bolt and speed sensor. 2)Remove sprocket cover bolts and sprocket cover. 3) Remove the sprocket nut and washer(you must strighten the bent portion of the washer before attempting to loosen the nut) When loosening the nut, you must apply the rear wheel brake. 4) Raise the rear on to a stand and loosen the chain. 5)Remove chain from front sprocket. 6) Remove sprocket from shaft.
to install just reverse the procedure. Apply oil to the shaft threads and contact surface of the sprocket. Ensure the correct face of the sprocket is facing the tranny. Remember to bend the tab on the washer after you torque the sprocket nut.
Sprocket torque is 94 Ft/lbs. Torque on the sprocket cover bolts is 104 in/lbs. the torque for the speed sensor bolt is 61 in/lbs. Manual recommends using non permanent locking agent on the threads of the speed sensor bolt. It is better to have a buddy give you a hand if possible. Have fun!

"I love your butt, cause it is just the right size to loose my boot all up in it"

·
Registered
89 Posts
thanks alot man i appriciate it.
is that straight from the shop manual?

"Winning is not a sometime thing: it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing." - Vincent Thomas Lombardi

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, straight out the manual. I am at work right now. Got the manual on my computer at home. If u need to know anything else let me know. I will answer when I get home round midnight.

"I love your butt, cause it is just the right size to loose my boot all up in it"

·
Registered
89 Posts
yeah, thanks again bro. if i need some help ill drop you a line.

do you ever go to fells point & hang out?

"TEARS will get you sympathy,
SWEAT will get you change"

·
Registered
89 Posts
Are there any special instructions in the shop manual about doing this? IM going down to a 14t, IM sure the stock 525 chain will still be fine. IM looking for the factory tourqe specs too.

Any input is appreciated.

"Winning is not a sometime thing: it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing." - Vincent Thomas Lombardi

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fells Point?? Where is that at? I live in southern MD. 1hr away from D.C.

·
Registered
89 Posts
lol, its near the inner harbor. alot of bikes hang out up there on friday & saturday nights.

thanks for your help bro, the mod took me 1/2 hr.

i need the instructions on replacing the right clip-on holder. im guessing all i have to do is remove the top triple tree and its a piece of cake.

·
Registered
130 Posts
CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG IF YOU GO DOWN IN THE FRONT ONE DOES THE CHAIN SLAP MORE OR WOULD IT BE BETTER TO GO UP 2 IN THE BACK I WANNA KEEP THE 525 CHAIN THE FRONT WOULD BE EASIER TO CHANGE BUT IS IT BETTER?

ASS,GRASS,OR GAS NOBODY RIDES FOR FREE! THE TANK IS FULL AND I DONT SMOKE SO FIGURE IT OUT

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
After you change either sprocket, you should adjust the chain slack. The chain will not slap with the proper slack.

·
Registered
89 Posts
yeah the front is easier to install.
(1 tooth down in front = 3 ;)teeth up in rear)

yes i did have to adjust the chain, but i already had to loosen it & slind the rear wheel forward to get the front sprocket off. the entire job took me 1/2 hr.

biggest performance mod for the $.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by jerky808

(1 tooth down in front = 2 teeth up un rear)
jerky808,

That is not quite right, and I have explained why in this thread, which you started.

One down in front is equivalent to nearly 3 up in back.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I just can't get that stupid washer to bend! I think tomorrow I'll just use a plasma cutter and get that SOB off.

Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I found it much easier to change the rear then the front. As long as you have the correct socket and maybe an impact wrench. Anyways it all depends on gear ratios to begin with in regards to -x on front = +y on the back. Yamaha's, Suzuki's all different ratios so it maybe 1/3 or 1/2, or 1/4?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Impact wrench made it coming off super easy. I thought it was going to be hard since I didn't have the rear on to hold it in place. Nope, came off about .5 seconds after I hit the trigger.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Same thing here. Just put it in gear and use an impact and that baby just zips right off. I used a 1 1/16 socket because i didnt have a metric that big and it worked just fine and didnt round off the nut.

YES IT'S FAST...NO YOU CAN'T RIDE IT.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i used a screwdriver & a hammer to strighten the washer. to remove the washer, NOTE that the washer is groved to fit in the shaft.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I managed to keep it in neutral. =)

When I first got my socket set I was wondering what I could need a 24mm socket for? Now I know. Now I'm wondering what do I need a 2" one for.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Does anyone have the trans ratios for whatever years?

------
-gary

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.