Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the 07 6r come with a 520 chain? I am thinking about ordering a 520 kit and am going to stick with stock gearing so is it worth it? A few lbs shaved off of the chain/sprocket assembly can mean a nice performance jump but if the bike already has a 520 on it I might not save that much weight.

Next question. I just purchased a galfer superbike style front brake hose kit. Do you prefer that style or the "oem" style? What is the difference exactly? I know the superbike style bolts direct to the caliper and is more of a direct route, but is there any other difference, or is there a difference in performance.

This weekend I am heading to the track so I am doing the following. Pilot 2CTs, new brake pads, Galfer front brake lines, Oil and filter change. I will have the wheels off in order to mount the tires so I was considering putting a new chain on but needed the above questions answered before I decided.
I also bought a Alpinestars SP-1 suit and some Astars boots also, so I will let you know how those worked out for me. Might even pick up a clearance suomi or arai from the net.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Damn, can you say shopping spree...!?:eek:

And yeah, our bikes have a 520 chain already, so unless you change the gearing it might not be worth it. Just my thoughts...hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
6r already comes with 520 chain,
most people change sprockets for changing gearing purposes
i changed mine with stock gearing but different sprockets/chain because originals were worn out
others change them for looks, you see green chains on green bikes, gold chains on others etc.

weight difference between the stock chain and aftermarket is not that huge, but it's there, as well as usually higher tensile strength in the aftermarket one.

if this is a new bike, i'd use the current setup until it wears, then when it's time to replace, go aftermarket.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn, can you say shopping spree...!?:eek:
Yeah I know it, i am bleeding money here. Actually the way I came into owning a zx6r is I went to the stealership with 10k cash for a 08 R6 and they laughed me right out of the joint. Told me I was 3-5k light in the wallet for the privilege of owning a brand new r6. So I went and bought a used 6r instead. Now I have extra money for gear and track days. Trust me, I think I ended up getting the better deal. Paying 13k+ for a new R6 is BS. I would have a hard time coughing up 13k for a liter bike, let alone a freaking 600.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Bike

Yeah I know it, i am bleeding money here. Actually the way I came into owning a zx6r is I went to the stealership with 10k cash for a 08 R6 and they laughed me right out of the joint. Told me I was 3-5k light in the wallet for the privilege of owning a brand new r6. So I went and bought a used 6r instead. Now I have extra money for gear and track days. Trust me, I think I ended up getting the better deal. Paying 13k+ for a new R6 is BS. I would have a hard time coughing up 13k for a liter bike, let alone a freaking 600.

Good move on your part. The R6 is not worth the extra 5 grand.

Now you have money to burn and can buy all those goodies.:D

Ride safe.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
With three k I would keep the stock: tires, chain, sprockets, brake pads, brake lines.

But I would change the oil and filter.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bike now has 5k on it (3 weeks worth of riding). I like Braided lines and the tires it has on it now are not ok for the track at this point. Brake pads are being done because I am going to the track and dont want to go and THEN find out they didnt have what it takes to last the weekend. I would have kept all that stock but since I am on the track this weekend it seemed like an ok time to do it all.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Pads will last I promise... tires should be okay but I can understand replacing them. Don't replace the chain and sprockets.

Look around the corner, and lean it in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.