Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pulled over with a group of 3 plus myself. I was racing an 01 gxsr 750 an pulled on him by a couple of bike lengths. (I have 06 636) Well the other two were hanging behind. I was at a red light and a staty hit the lights. He pulled both of us over and told me he got two of our buddies. He said I was speeding and racing, but couldn't tell me how fast I was going b/c he didn't clock me. Plus he said he didn't see me but he heard me. To make a very long story short I was the only on riding legal, nobody else had license, reg, insurance or inspection. He let all of go and said he would find something to fine us for and would receive sitations in the mail.
I recieved a racing on a public highway ticket. (This was outside of south Philly) Has any one recived this B4? Is my license gone?

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
If he didn't see you he can't identify you in court as the one he "heard". In court, ask him if he can, without any doubt identify you as the one he heard. Just because he didn't see anyone else doesn't there WASN'T anyone else. You should beat this easily.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Now they're giving us tickets just for hearing us?! Geez, guess we better rip off our nice exhausts and get silencers so the can't hear us anymore. You should def beat that.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You could definitely beat this! I mean, the audacity of that stupid cop to give you a ticket just cause he "heard you" and suspected you were racing. Sorry, "reasonable doubt" doesn't hold up in any respectable court... and that cop obviously doubted you were the one if he couldn't even identify you OR clock you! Stand your ground, state you case in court, and IF there is fairness in the system, you will get off - as you should. Good luck and keep us posted on how you made out ;)

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
i got that ticket once the first when i was 16 the first week i got my license. (not on a bike). This was in Jersey. I never paid it and four years later got pulled over in jersey and arrested me for it. Long story short no biggie I paid a couple hundre i was out within an hour went to court about a month later and they dropped it to careless driving.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
You COULD lose your license, but it all depends.. Did you admit to racing? What did you say to the officer? If you admitted to anything, or if he claims you admitted to anything, you don't have much of a case. If you played dumb, I think there's a good chance you could get off.

Then again, all up to the judge. What's your record like?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just told him he must of heard my exhaust. I bought the exhaust for safty so people could hear me. I didn't admit to anything. Nobody had anything all were riding dirty,except me, so we kept our months shut and prayed he would let us go without empowding everyone's bikes. Basically I did played dumb...

·
Registered
156 Posts
You should get off that one easily. Insufficient evidence that you were the perp. Im surprised he was stupid enough to admit that he only heard you. If he hadn't said that it wouldve been harder to fight. Thank him afterwards for giving you an out.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Did anyone else receive a ticket?? If so, then you ALL need to say that you weren't racing.

Also, bring up the fact that you are a 100% legal rider. From what I have learned in my short time on the East, that is rare. Make the judge see you in a good light. You don't necessarily have to appear as an angel, but certainly someone that wouldn't race on the streets.

If it was only you who received a ticket, then say (and STICK TO) the story of "someone else was going fast. As far as you are concerned, the police officer did not see anything, and nobody called you guys in. That is all that matters in court.

Not to sound ridiculous, but if you don't have to see the offense, then any officer could pull over any driver out here and cite them for careless driving, and they would probably be correct in doing so. Because you know at one point or another, 99% of drivers have changed lanes without a signal, tailgated, or some other "offense".

Most important, stand your ground. Do not accpet an ass-fucking because they want to make an example out of you to scare your friends.

--David

P.S. We should ride together sometime. <--I live in Drexel Hill.

P.S.S. Stop racing on the streets, when you do get caught, it won't be a question of "Am I going to lose my license?". It will be, "How long is it gone?"

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We all recieved tickets and I recieved the least amout. I just got racing on a public highway, everyone else recieved riding with no motor license, no reg, no inspection and no insurance. It was a marple newtown-square cop. I was on 320 in Springfield in front of Sproul bowling lanes a quarter mile from the blue route (476). If that cop didn't get my tag I would have hoped on the blue route and ran!!!!!

I live in Norwood right behind Studio Tatoo's off of Chester Pike.

Anthony

--Ya David I would love to find someone near me to ride with. Most of the guys I ride with are from West Chester.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well... here's the ending to this ticket story. The cop was cool when he showed up. He pulled all of us aside and said he was just glad we stoped, but he knows we were speeding. So he offered a deal of careless driving instead of reckless driving. I recieved 2 points on license and the kept the money that I paid for the reckless driving. I just glad I didn't loose my license. I wouldn't of been able to ride at all, the cops around here see a sport bike just assume that they are doing something wrong or speeding. Good luck to all in the future and thanks for the vote of coffidence.

--Anthony

·
Registered
88 Posts
Man just from the what you have told us that cop robbed you. If he couldn't prove racing and thats what he wrote you for than there was nothing he could get you on. I dont have a problem with someone getting a ticket for what they have done, I can say I have been guilty on all but one ticket I have receiced. I always fight it to reduce or go to school. I always make the cop show up in court, make them earn that money. But your cop seems he didnt have a leg to stand on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dude,

When that cop pulled you aside and offered you careless driving you should have told him you'd like to have the judge take a look at the situation and chances are the judge would have given you the option of driving school (defensive driving).

I've gone to defensive driving school twice already (once a year down here in both El Paso, Texas and New Mexico!

Oh well, wait three years and it'll be off your record. Judges like to work with you if you appear respectable. I told one judge that my job demanded I have a clean driving record and I would lose my job since I drove a company vehicle and she was sympathetic.
Stay safe out there!
sal

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
sometimes it's easy to say what you would have done when you aren't standing there infront of a cop, or a judge. Not trying to flame anyone, but sometimes it's a little intimidating being around these kind of people, and makes it hard to say/do what you'd really like to. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the imput. I do think I got screwed but I didn't want to loose my license. That's all I could think about. I didn't feel like trying my luck with the judge. Sence my court date I have been pulled over twice just to check my paperwork.

--Anthony

·
Registered
188 Posts
A friend of mine beat a drag racing ticket in AZ several years back.. although it did cost him $1000 for the lawyer... yep he had to lawyer up. It is intimidating sometimes in a court room, i've been in there once for a ticket and once as a trial jurror.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Originally posted by AllBlack636
Well... here's the ending to this ticket story. The cop was cool when he showed up. He pulled all of us aside and said he was just glad we stoped, but he knows we were speeding. So he offered a deal of careless driving instead of reckless driving. I recieved 2 points on license and the kept the money that I paid for the reckless driving. I just glad I didn't loose my license. I wouldn't of been able to ride at all, the cops around here see a sport bike just assume that they are doing something wrong or speeding. Good luck to all in the future and thanks for the vote of coffidence.

--Anthony
Well, the way I see it, the cop knew that he couldn't prove that you were racing, and knew that the judge would throw it out. As to your statement ofcops seeing a sport bike and assuming that they are doing something wrong is due to sport bikes racing/stunting on the roads. That's our public profile! If you want to race, try a track day. Believe me. After you do a track day, your whole idea about street riding changes. Streets become kind of boring, and you tend to become more of a "cruiser" and take your speed shot @ the tracks. If you can save $200 every month, you can do a track day every month.

Good luck, and be safe.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I think you guys watch too many cop shows. That judge would have stuck it too you. You did good. By the way, you guys were speeding/racing, right?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.