Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered NGK CR8HSA spark plugs as suggested by the 250faqninja.org website (god bless that page) and when i compared them to the stock ones from my '08, they look considerably smaller! Is that OK? We're talking about 1cm difference in length! the spark will happen like right at the engine cover or something, it'll barely even go in! Are the CR8HSA meant for 07 and earlier 250s? I attached pics:

thanks, -phil

·
Registered
46 Posts
I believe You bought the plugs for the previous gen ninjas not the 08+. Im assuming that you were just reading the FAQ offninja250.org which while thorough hasnt been updated a lot and has a focus on the previous gen ninjas. There is actually a thread on here already about spark plugs (iridium ones in particular) but it would be a good place to look. I know that the Cr8Eix iridium ones fit the ninja (as do the cr7eix) i dont know much about spark plugs But i think you want CR7E or CR8E spark plugs (or get the CR_EIX for premium plugs).

·
Registered
26 Posts
I believe You bought the plugs for the previous gen ninjas not the 08+. Im assuming that you were just reading the FAQ offninja250.org which while thorough hasnt been updated a lot and has a focus on the previous gen ninjas. There is actually a thread on here already about spark plugs (iridium ones in particular) but it would be a good place to look. I know that the Cr8Eix iridium ones fit the ninja (as do the cr7eix) i dont know much about spark plugs But i think you want CR7E or CR8E spark plugs (or get the CR_EIX for premium plugs).
CR8HSA is for 08' & below.
Vinniek

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hmmm....the Malaysian Ninja came with NGK CR8EP, platinum. Quite a bonus. Without knowing that it is a Platinum, I went ahead to Iridium, and had the shop swap it for me. Fortunately, I went to the work area and got the old plugs back and noticed that the electrode was pretty small. Didn't ring a bell until I checked the model over the NGK website and realized that it was Platinum plugs. Anyway, the Iridium made a difference to better torque and throttle response.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,
My son and I were working on a used 2009 Ninja 250R that we recently purchased. This cycle was rode pretty hard and abused. We are doing all of the tune-up, fluid changes and maintenance things to get the cycle back to a known state.

We wanted to change the plugs and we too bought the CR8HSA after reading online recommendations. And we found that the plugs in the cycle were the CR8E just like barmaly had found. Ours looked like the ones in his pictures, including the black soot on the 1/4" of thread at the plug end. I have read that the apparently the shorter CR8E plug will work fine in the new Ninja too.

My question is: Why does Kawasaki want the plug to extend out into the cylinder 1/4"+? The soot on the threads shows that it is out in the cylinder ignition area. Seems like it should almost be hitting the piston as it travels back and forth. Why should it be different than with the spark nearer the top of the cylinder like in an automobile? Is this a high RPM engine thing? If the shorter plug is used, I guess it would lower the compression alittle bit and maybe the flame front has to travel alittle farther to reach the piston.

Anybody run the shorter CR8HSA plugs on purpose?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, thanks. But, does anyone know why the spark plug for the new 08+ Ninja 250R extend into the cylinder an extra 1/4"+? I know what plugs are specified by Kawasaki, just wondering why they extend out into the cylinder. You can see the dirty soot on the end of the plug threads in the picture just like what came out of my Ninja when I changed them.
Have a great day, go riding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts