Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop the spreading. 1/4" bit should be more than enough. Can't help you with lining up the crack.

-2000 ZX-6R.....

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hey Everyone, Its my first post but i've been reading from the Board for a while now. I ride a 98 ZX6R, Full D&D exhaust, other than that its all stock.
Here is my problem, On the bottom of my right fairing, I've got a crack about an inch and a half long. Its not a clean crack either, it all jagged and won't line up flush. I'm afraid its going to crack further with more riding. Any ideas on how to get the crack to line up? And any ideas on how to stop further cracking?

Thanks
Greg

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
drilling a circular hole should right at the end of the crack should prevent it from spreading.

If you can remove the fairing and line up the crack, use a ABS plastic welding compound (its a chemical you can buy) that will fuse the plastic, basically as good as new.

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
11 Posts
Originally posted by CdnNinjaZX6R

drilling a circular hole should right at the end of the crack should prevent it from spreading.

If you can remove the fairing and line up the crack, use a ABS plastic welding compound (its a chemical you can buy) that will fuse the plastic, basically as good as new.

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

Hey Cnd.. were do buy the ABS plastic welding compound.
I am looking to fix a cracked fairing myself

·
Registered
56 Posts
Plastex sells a plastic fixing kit. I have used it and it definitely works. I had a slow speed low-side, broke a piece off, and cracked the entire area around where my bullshit frame sliders should have protected. I bought Plastex's Standard Kit and was able to fix all the cracks, you almost can't even notice them (I should have spent more time sanding out the high spots). Then I painted the fairing using color-rite's paint.

BTW heres a link to Plastex: http://home.att.net/~g.t.motorsports/

We be ridin' Ninja 600's never Harleys kid

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
I went to Home Depot and they didnt have "ABS plastic welding compound" what they had was an epoxy which repairs plastics. Is this ok to use for my cracked fairing?

NYC potholes SUCK!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just fixed a major crack in my right farring. I drilled a small hole at the end of the crack and then used an apoxy to put the beices back togother. I then took some fiberglass and touched up the inside for extra strength. It worked great and now all i need to do is touch up the paint!:)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I almost forgot about that crack on my fairing, and then you had to bring this topic back from the dead and remind me.[V]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.