Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(This ain't a good read, so continue only if bored)

It was getting kind of cold by the end of November so I decided to bring my bike indoors, without doing much winterization because I thought that I would take it out on nicer days.

Today wasn't so bad so I took my scooter out for a ride for the first time since I brought it in. It was probably 6 weeks since I last rode it. It fired right up on the first try with the electric starter:eek:, but then couldn't idle for shit. I mean I was standing there starting that shit up like every 40 seconds and it kept dying out. After like 30 minutes of toying with it I touched the pipe and it was colder than something else that's funny and cold. I said to myself, I'm gonna rip the throttle up when I start it up. I did and the engine responded very late, and spottily (best word I could think of), but it did respond, so I decided to take it for a ride around the parking lot...

I discovered that every time I would stop the engine would die out, so I decided to just ride around in circles. I did that for about 20 minutes, and it was probably the scarier 20 minutes that I can remember. What I mean is that the throttle response was so shitty, that I didn't know what the bike was going to do next. One second the engine is like bum....bum.bum..........bum.....bum, and then it goes like: bum...bum..........VROOOM! I couldn't control it for shit, but I was motivated to get a nice ride anyway.

Even after a solid 1.5 hrs of toying around with the scooter It wasn't yet warmed up, but I decided to hit the streets anyway. Every red light I had to work the brake and the throttle at the same time to keep the engine from dying, and I was successful for the most part, I only stalled once, in the middle of an intersection, but I was able to fire back up. The throttle was as shitty as it has been the whole day. Turn it, turn it, but ain't gonna accelerate for shit... Only when it feels like. Even though i was nice and frustrated, i rode for about an hour. But even after 2.5 hours of engine running, the scooter still couldn't idle.

Eh, whatever, I blame the cold weather. I wanted to give it some nice choke, but there ain't no lever, but the manual says there is but I can't find it. I wanted to call up the dealer, but they are closed Mondays during winter. I could shim the needles, or something like that, but I don't know how to. It's probably nothing, just cold.

I'm selling this scooter btw:D:cool:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was bored, so i read your story... im still bored...

at least you got a ride in tho right!!

Reactions: wojtek19890

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dounds like you had a blast on that thing.. lucky the throttle didn't get stuck now that would suck
it wasn't really a pleasure, but as long as it's something different, I'm happy.

·
Registered
310 Posts
it wasn't really a pleasure, but as long as it's something different, I'm happy.
Lately i've been wanting to go take my bike for a ride but this damn Ohio cold weather is just killing me. Every morning I wake up and see sun I think it will be like in upper 50's then i get out and its 30's. Oh well i go to the garage and start up the bike and that gets the job done too. How were the tires holding up in the cold?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lately i've been wanting to go take my bike for a ride but this damn Ohio cold weather is just killing me. Every morning I wake up and see sun I think it will be like in upper 50's then i get out and its 30's. Oh well i go to the garage and start up the bike and that gets the job done too. How were the tires holding up in the cold?
yeah, it was like in 40s in Brooklyn today. I didn't really pay attention to the tires because I was so occupied with keeping the engine from stalling. I didn't really challenge the tires anyway, 30mph in a straight line/ 10mph turns ain't too bad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My Ruckus warms up in about 20 seconds even at like 10 degrees, and runs pretty well in very cold temps. I mean, it's noticeably not as good as when it's warm out, but it's still good enough for me to just hop on it on a super cold day and ride 20 miles.

EDIT: Granted it's a 4-stroke, not sure if that matters or not. Still has a carb though, the euro models get fuel injection, lucky guys.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Ruckus warms up in about 20 seconds even at like 10 degrees, and runs pretty well in very cold temps. I mean, it's noticeably not as good as when it's warm out, but it's still good enough for me to just hop on it on a super cold day and ride 20 miles.

EDIT: Granted it's a 4-stroke, not sure if that matters or not. Still has a carb though, the euro models get fuel injection, lucky guys.
so what do you want? a medal?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Shit, pissy, maybe he was just making a suggestion for your next scooter or something...

What I suggest you to do is buy a little space heater like I have from my work so when it gets to freezing temps, it'll kick on until the temp has raised the thermostat.... granted, this will only work if you are in a garage.... besides, its just a scooter, scoot that thing in your house.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Put new gas in it lately?
Exactly what I was thinking. That sounds exactly like old/stale fuel. Shitty starts, and if you have to keep the throttle wide open the entire time, that's rediclious. Did you touch the pipe to see if it was hot after the ride?

If it warmed up, but still ran like shit, I would def. suggest getting new fuel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts