Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so this really stinks i was riding home from work and a car full of 16 year old kids is a ways in front of me. i see them slow down; then they go to turn in a one way street, they realize this slam on the brakes and pull off to the shoulder. i attempt to ride past while they are on the side and the kid whips out and clips me while I'm next to him. at first i thought he tried to hit me. so the bike is in pieces the front wheel inside of the headers my helmet was cracked and mangled but I'm fine i get up take the insurance info the kid apologizes says he never saw me and it was totally his fault and i call the police they right there report and everything then pull the other driver over and tell him i was following too close. so i call his insurance company and file a report after 2 weeks of them jerking me around they decide not to accept fault. does anyone know what i should do next? i need a lawyer but i get the feeling like without personal injury i don't have a good case. its like i am being punished for wearing proper gear. so if anyone has the info for a lawyer i could talk to in Utah or nationwide it would help me out greatly. i don't want some crazy settlement i want what i would need to fix or replace my bike and possibly cover towing fees and a helmet.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Fuck, that sucks. If you haven't done so already, I would go out to the scene and photograph it...if there are skid marks from his attempt to go down the one way street, photograph those for sure to help build your case.

Finding attorneys to do an aggressive job on property damage is a hell of a lot more difficult then finding one for injuries, I know...I've been through it. Best of luck man.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
dang man i hope it works out for you

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Wow that sucks. Wish I could help. Do you insurance on your bike (I don't know the laws about insurance in Utah)? If so, you should call your insurance co., they may help you fight this. Especially if you have full coverage (b/c they don't wanna end up paying the bill, so they will help you get $$ outta the other guy's insurance)...

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Based on what you wrote I'd get your own insurance involved and/or take them to court. Following distance is irrelevant when your side swiped, so obviously the cop is taking sides and being biased in his report.

Personal Injury isn't needed for the kid to be at fault, he entered traffic without looking. Likely because he was distracted with friends, looking for a certain road, and most of all an inexperienced driver. That's what the report should show but so long as you didn't run into the back of him I don't see how, in court, the kid will be seen as not at fault for his bad driving.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
lesson #368
car full of teens driving stupid in front of you.

what do you do?

as already described....
maintain a safe distance

passing is NOT always the best decision.

bike error= death
car error=sorry I didn't see the speeding bike

I've had that exact same thing happen to me, though I didn't wreck or get hit,
I was able to stop because I didn't pass , but then again I wasn't wearing a helmet.

plus insurance companies are the mafia

·
Registered
12 Posts
If the facts...

are what you say they are you have a good case regardless of the fact that you did not suffer bodily injury. If the person that hit you was violating traffic laws and was reckless in thier actions, which from your account it appears that he was, then you should be able to recover the damage done to your bike. Plus you have the fact that the kid admitted it was his fault. I hope you had the police officer put that in his report. However, if you did anything to contibute to this accident you may not be able to recover the full amount. I am a lawyer but I'm a criminal prosecutor so personal injury law is not my cup of tea. I'm just offering my two cents. I believe that you need to contact your insurance company as they will most likely have a lawyer for you. If they do not you should call your own.

Good luck and I'm glad to hear that you did not suffer any bodily injuries.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't rear end him i got hit by his door and mirror so the damage to his car is on the side is in my favor. his insurence company has also never looked at his car or my bike. i have insurance but only liability should i get my insurance company involved or not bother. still looking for a lawyer that will help and numbers or contacts will be greatly appreciated.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
call his ins co. tell'm you hit the side of his car because he pulled out in front of you. cover it or go to court.

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
I didn't rear end him i got hit by his door and mirror so the damage to his car is on the side is in my favor. his insurence company has also never looked at his car or my bike. i have insurance but only liability should i get my insurance company involved or not bother. still looking for a lawyer that will help and numbers or contacts will be greatly appreciated.
You definately need to get your insurance company involved. Regardless of the fact you only have liability insurance, it is still their job to fight for you. Also ... if you have the guy's name, address, etc... It would be of great benefit to you to go snap a couple of pictures of the damage on his car in case it is needed in the future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts