Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've went down once in my FS Monza. Lowside at ~40-45. Came out with a little burn on my elbow where the pad slid around my arm. It completly tore through the shoulder to the point it was grinding on the armour. Never touched my skin anywhere. The only porblem that I've talked about before, is that with the looser jackets, the padding tends to twist away from where it's supposed to be. For summer, I just bought the Sonic Air and with the leather pads, it's much tighter and feels a lot safer.

------

-gary

·
Registered
226 Posts
The only time I crashed (with my Transalp) I was going at 80 km/h. I was wearing a nylon motorcycling jacket, from Bering. It melted with the friction on the road!! It ripped in the arm and shoulder, but "luckily"[?] I hit the sidewalk and stopped skiding in the tarmac. If I had continued sliding I have no doubt I would have hurt myself (road rash).

So, now I use leather jacket in the summer and a Cordura/Gore-tex Alpinestars jacket in the winter. The "Cordura" textile seems to be much more resistant to skiding than the nylon, and it has extra Cordura patches in the extremities.

All of the jackets (nylon Bering, leather Bering and cordura Alpinestars) have semi-rigid, CE-aprooved body armour. In my crash I didn't realise if the protections came out of the place, because I slided with my chest down, but I really believe they would have gone away if they had hit the ground. The Alpinestars jacket is much nicer in that aspect - it costed 5 times more than the Bering, too.

------

- Wilder than the wildest dreams!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I use an Aerostich Roadcrafter suit. The website http://www.aerostich.com/ says that they tested it against other materials, but doesn't mention leather. But according to this article on motorcycle online http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbeware/roadcrafter.html Aerostich said that their material is better than leather (although I've heard that you will slide a little further than with leather). In any case, I think it offers very good protection for a textile suit.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I lowsided in the Teknic Supervent Jacket (just like the JR Pheonix with slightly thicker padding) going about 20 MPH.

Chewed a few small holes in the jacket but my skin was fine. I was also just wearing Draggin Cargo pants, cheap Olympia gloves and some regular steel toes engineer boots. The only thing that was bruised way me ego...and my bike took some damage. The gear did it's job.

So my philosophy about gear is buy something you are comfortable in and that looks good to you and that you will wear EVERYTIME you ride.

You can buy full leathers but if you only wear them when it's pratical, they won't do you any good when you crash riding to the local store getting some milk.

------

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thanks for the input guys! I'm really leaning toward fieldsheer or Joe Rocket textile.

------

The only difference between a dream and reality is the price you are willing to pay

·
Registered
443 Posts
Originally posted by mvrk1

Thanks for the input guys! I'm really leaning toward fieldsheer or Joe Rocket textile.

------

The only difference between a dream and reality is the price you are willing to pay
i crashed a few times in my dainese safety pro suit. survived every crash with few scrapes..never tore through the leather. the last crash was the one..the paramedics cut the suit off me. that was a sad, sad day. i now have an aerostich roadcrafter one-piece suit for commuting and an alpinestars sm-x one-piece suit for riding me balls off :)

------

"I'm from yeranus."

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hey guys,

On one of the other threads a discussion was started about crash protection. Gary and Andy both mentioned that they wear textile jackets. I'm curious to hear from either of you or anyone else that has an opinion or has crashed and been saved by their gear.

What kind of textiles do you have? Joe Rocket? Fieldsheer? I'm planning to get a textile jacket, but my largest concern about textiles is whether the material would hold the armor in place throughout the crash or if it would tear away and I would lose the armor when I still needed it. Any input?

By the way, I figure if it saves me once, it's worth the price. But will it save me once?

------

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"the paramedics cut the suit off me"

This would be my luck, buy an awesome 1000.00 suit and then the paramedics cut it off.....

;)

i guess I shouldn't look at it that way...

------

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a ~50 mph lowside last year while wearing my JOE ROCKET PHOENIX mest textile jacket. My entire upper body was fine. It did its job and I still wear the same jacket today :D

Great Jacket, Great Price, Good Protection for everyday street riding. A+

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by -gary

I've went down once in my FS Monza. Lowside at ~40-45.
The aftermath:

/forum/uploads/-gary/12-2002_005.jpg

/forum/uploads/-gary/12-2002_007.jpg

/forum/uploads/-gary/12-2002_008.jpg

------

-gary

·
Registered
284 Posts
Originally posted by Andy_7676
...they won't do you any good when you crash riding to the local store getting some milk.
I was going to make a smartass comment about grocery shopping with your bike, but then had a memory of strapping a half gallon of milk to my passenger seat. So nevermind. :D

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I have strapped some pretty interesting stuff to my bike ;)

------

·
Registered
107 Posts
Andy what was her name?[:p]

Just joking;)

I prefer leather, maybe I should write this in another post considering the above comments:D

Gotta love those little faces/icons:)

I think I am a little unsure of the loose fitting style of the textile jackets. But as Andy says, but something that you will wear everytime you ride, even to get the milk from the corner store.
Good luck, happy shopping and safe riding.

------

Corbywan

2000 ZX6R Green

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've got a few questions. I'm in the market for gear. I'm planning on a jacket first and then pants for the spring. I'm hoping to hit the track next spring. Can you use the textile stuff on the track? I would prefer leather, but I'm looking for something that is versitile in hot weather as well. The budget is tight and I don't have the money to buy several diferent sets of gear.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
most track days allow you to use textile stuff only if it zips togather completely and it has all the padding in...I dont know alot of textile stuuf that meets this criteria...and if they do they might probably cost as must as a cheaper leather outfit...

you might be better off buying just the leather jacket now from a 2 peice race suits and then buying the pants latter if you plan on doing tracks days.

------

·
Registered
124 Posts
Originally posted by Andy_7676

most track days allow you to use textile stuff only if it zips togather completely and it has all the padding in...I dont know alot of textile stuuf that meets this criteria...and if they do they might probably cost as must as a cheaper leather outfit...

you might be better off buying just the leather jacket now from a 2 peice race suits and then buying the pants latter if you plan on doing tracks days.
How is the leather on hot days? Are there any decent leather jackets with good venting for warm days?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
any leather jacket for track days wont be too comfy in hot weather from my expreience...

you could just get some decent leather to track and buy some cheap gear for road riding...

get like a JR Pheonix jacket and some draggin jeans for the street, and then get a 2 piece racing suit for the track, since it's a 2 peice you can mix and match your racing suit (jacket with draggin jeans or whatever on the street when it gets cooler for added protection...

I haven't yet found a set of gear that works well in hot and cooler conditions, and you almost always sacrafice protection when you get hot weather riding gear....

I have 2 sets of riding gear already, 1 for the hot summer days and one for the cooler days, and I will have to get yet another set of gear for doing track days if I start that.

------

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ok, I went to Newenough.com and ordered a Joe Rocket Phoenix 2.0 for $79. I figure that I'll use that for warm weather and save money for leather gear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.