Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, my 2006 ZX6-R was my fave bike and now she is gone. I was on a back road doing maybe 35mph in a corner when I saw a pothole too late to avoid. It was so big and deep it stopped my bike and threw me for a loop. I broke my neck, back, and shoulder along with rupturing my spleen and giving me severe contusions on my hip and ribs. I was wearing all my gear and that is what saved my life because I landed on my face. I was in the hospital for 2 days and am thankful to just be recovering in a neck brace for about the next 2 months. I can still barely walk because my hip and ribs hurt so bad but that should go away soon. They're just letting the lower back and shoulder fractures heal on their own. Wear your gear folks!!!!

Here's a pic of the front rim showing how hard I hit. The frame and body damage have totalled it according to the dealer where I had it towed...just waiting for the insurance company to confirm. I won't be able to ride for at least 6 months so not sure what I'll buy if I get up and ride again. The roads are SO torn up around here I might get something a little more able to deal with it so thinking about something like an Aprilia SXV or a Suzuki DRZ400-SM.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Sorry to hear about that man. Good luck with your recovery. Get back out there as soon as you can.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Get back riding soon. Hop you have the Total Vechile Replacement coverage on your bike, cause here in Florida you can have FULL Coverage and not get the Total Cost of the Bike once you put a claim in. Believe I've been down that road. Good Luck

·
Registered
425 Posts
Originally posted by Low J.
Yeah, my 2006 ZX6-R was my fave bike and now she is gone. I was on a back road doing maybe 35mph in a corner when I saw a pothole too late to avoid. It was so big and deep it stopped my bike and threw me for a loop. I broke my neck, back, and shoulder along with rupturing my spleen and giving me severe contusions on my hip and ribs. I was wearing all my gear and that is what saved my life because I landed on my face. I was in the hospital for 2 days and am thankful to just be recovering in a neck brace for about the next 2 months. I can still barely walk because my hip and ribs hurt so bad but that should go away soon. They're just letting the lower back and shoulder fractures heal on their own. Wear your gear folks!!!!

Here's a pic of the front rim showing how hard I hit. The frame and body damage have totalled it according to the dealer where I had it towed...just waiting for the insurance company to confirm. I won't be able to ride for at least 6 months so not sure what I'll buy if I get up and ride again. The roads are SO torn up around here I might get something a little more able to deal with it so thinking about something like an Aprilia SXV or a Suzuki DRZ400-SM.
Check out the Husqvarna SMR510, pretty sick bike, and seems to be fairly reliable from what I've read on other forums, i.e supermotojunkie, and thumpertalk.. Goodluck

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
asap have someone take some pics or video of that pothole befor the town fills it in. then get a lawyer and sue, the towns or the state by law have to kept the roads free of danger spots pothole sand oil and whatnot.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Damn that sucks, and I hope you have a speedy recovery. You can't sue the town for normal potholes, the ones that are like .5 inches deep, but it sounds like the pothole you ran into was like 6 inches deep. I'd ask a lawyer about it and look at what options I have too.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Originally posted by jason1313
asap have someone take some pics or video of that pothole befor the town fills it in. then get a lawyer and sue, the towns or the state by law have to kept the roads free of danger spots pothole sand oil and whatnot.
Ive actually heard of that before and the city ended up paying, i would hop on that!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just my thoughts exactly. I've seen a few of those cases, and everytime the motorcyclist won and the city ended up footing the bill and paying for the damages. If you can't do anything but ride through it, straighten out as much as possible, put all your weight to the rear of the bike, and just as you hit the sucker, give her some gas to lighten the front. This has saved my ass a few times. I know it sounds like a lot, but trust me, it only takes a split second.

And thank the man above you're okay and alive to tell the story. I hope you make a speedy and full recovery, and remember to always wear your gear people!

·
Registered
192 Posts
did that pothole bend the frame or just the wreck after? I nailed a curb about a month back and bent my front rim into a huge V

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally posted by Chris8187
Damn that sucks, and I hope you have a speedy recovery. You can't sue the town for normal potholes, the ones that are like .5 inches deep, but it sounds like the pothole you ran into was like 6 inches deep. I'd ask a lawyer about it and look at what options I have too.
That varies from state to state. I do know however here that once the DMV knows about the hole they have 24 hours to fill it. After that they accept the responsibility of damages to personal vehicles. Most of the stories I have heard they pay regardless cause its just easier than dealing with litigation. Cause for the most part its usually just a wheel or a tire. So max to them a couple hundred bucks or thousands in litigation and lawyer fees. Just makes sense.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.