Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this weekend we made the trip to tail of the dragon. And even though I crashed and totalled my bike it was still the best experiance of my life up to date. Let me first say that we drove for 12hours hours over night with no sleep to get there and then all we did was catch a 90min nap before we started hitting the twisties. We told ourselfs that we are going to take it easy and that safety was our first priority but once we started going through the turns all of that went out the window and we were pushing it to the limit with pegs scraping. We did manage to go thru the dragon 3 times + some other side roads before the wreck. But on the fourth time I was coming out of a turn leading into an pretty small s turns and the a big right hander when I lost it. I assume I lost my concentration for 1 second because I was getting out of the turn and then was trying to get a line thru the s turns to allign my self for the big turn when the front wheel hit the side of the road and sent me sliding across the incoming lanes, and when I was coming to a stop the bike which was sliding behind me smashed into me and pushed me of the road. Thankfully there was no oncoming traffic and I was able to walk away from this with how bunch of bruises all over including my thigh, ankle , back, knee, and sore neck. The speed was about 50mph I assume.

Here are some pics!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have full coverage insurance but I did not get a police report because we just went and got the van. Do you guys think I will have a issue with the insurance company for not having a police report? Any suggestions or recommendations highly appreciated. thanks.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Dude.......first me and then you? Bleh....looks like you're lucky to walk away with just bruises. That's one of the worst low-sides I've seen on here. Way worse than mine.

Police report may be a problem. Both times I got into an accident, the insurance company wanted a copy of the police report. Did you at least take pictures at the scene?

I recommend calling your insurance company ASAP if you haven't done it already. It's too late to get a police report but with each passing day, you start to forget the specifics.

If there is a next time (and I hope there isn't), get a police report if you intend to file an insurance claim.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
sorry you went down, but glad you're alive and you had a blast getting hurt. I had a lowside this past weekend, but have been to lazy to post up

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Originally posted by joonyaboy
sorry you went down, but glad you're alive and you had a blast getting hurt. I had a lowside this past weekend, but have been to lazy to post up
you too? jesus christ...i feel like 10% of this forum is suffering from low-sides right now....

·
Registered
284 Posts
thats too bad man. As long as you are okay you can go hit it up again when you get another bike!

·
Registered
285 Posts
First off I am glad you're okay but it sure hurt me to see your bike like that...ouch.[B)]

As far as insurance goes I think you'll be okay.

·
Registered
259 Posts
At least your ok...

Call insurance company and say a deer ran out in front of you! no Police report needed. :D

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
It's painful to see a bike like that, but good to know that the rider made it out relatively easy.

I rode down to the dragon in June and have been dying to go back ever since, I can't wait to get down there again. You're lucky you had a trailor, or you'd be stuck down there with a totalled bike. I guess you could always rent a u haul or something, hopefully it never comes to that for any of us on here. Good luck getting everything worked out with insurance.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Poor Kawi....

glad ur okay. seriously though, get some sleep, or dont ride. riding aggressive takes alot of brainpower. it is good to be well rested before and after any exertion, although afterwards most people dont think about rest.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Sorry about the bike! :( Glad your still livin' though!:)

As for insurance, I dunno. They may cover it. They may also drop you like a hot potato afterwards too, or jack your rates sky high. Dunno if it matters or not, but it might not be good for you when they find out you crashed on the dragon...assuming they know what the dragon is and what everyone does there...

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
What days were you up there? We were therre from the 2nd through the 5th, and on the dragon the first 3 of those dates. We might have seen each other (before your wreck)...

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Originally posted by anarion55
What days were you up there? We were therre from the 2nd through the 5th, and on the dragon the first 3 of those dates. We might have seen each other (before your wreck)...

Did you ride or trailor up? How long did it take?

I will definitely be making the 900 mile trek down there sometime in 07, probably in June. I don't want to sound like a sissy dude, but my mom actually won't let me go down there again without my dad, so that sucks.

The main reason is because she obviously knows that its all about twisty mountain roads and speed down there, but another big part of it is that my first day down there was when they had the first fatality of the year and my mom got really freaked out by that, so I'm screwed as far as riding down there with some sport riders.

I would like to move down there in a couple of years though, thats how much I enjoyed it.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Originally posted by rockstar84

Did you ride or trailor up? How long did it take?

I will definitely be making the 900 mile trek down there sometime in 07, probably in June. I don't want to sound like a sissy dude, but my mom actually won't let me go down there again without my dad, so that sucks.

The main reason is because she obviously knows that its all about twisty mountain roads and speed down there, but another big part of it is that my first day down there was when they had the first fatality of the year and my mom got really freaked out by that, so I'm screwed as far as riding down there with some sport riders.

I would like to move down there in a couple of years though, thats how much I enjoyed it.
I think I was there at the same time, the fatality was actually on 28 right. A guy on a cruiser crossed the line and hit a vehicle head on if I remember right.

I too would like to move over there eventually. I'm only 3 or so hours away now, but I want to be a "local."

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Originally posted by 02ZX6R

I was there sat. 7th & 8th

here are some pics before the crash.

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts...0&album=0&adjust=-1&d=0&nphoto=0DAE007P0A1501
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but your form doesn't look that good. Maybe its just those pics but it looks like your sitting too upright and inline with the bike. Combined with that much lean angle, its a lowside waiting to happen. I'd say you need to hang off the bike more in order to go fast with less lean. Get your head lower and more to the inside.

But I'm not an expert by any means, I'm sure my own form could use some major work. Maybe some of our members with a lot of experience/training can weigh in. Got any other pics of you riding?

Do you remember which turn you crashed on? You say it was a right hander, which way were you going? There are a few really tough turns that nearly got me the first time I went to the Dragon.

But I'm glad you are ok and nobody else got hurt. It's cool that despite the wreck you had a great time and want to come back. That place is amazing. Next time you make the trip, let me know and I'll try to meet you over there. I'm always looking for a reason to go over there.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.