Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I was on the tracked and had a minor spill theirs a couple of cracks on my racebody work. Would I use fiberglass matt or cloth to repair it?

Thanks CorreyRR

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is their a difference between the two cause I was in Canadian tire and they have a matt fiberglass package and a cloth fiberglass package which one would I use or are they the same?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Use mat for big repairs and to provide strength in structure, like on a smashed fairing cheek. Use cloth for holding together smaller cracked sections, such as the tangs on the windsheild.

You can make either work for the other if you're neat.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Matt is not stronger, just easier to work with. Use multiple layers of glass for the lightest strongest repair. Matt also ends up being very heavy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Try practicing first with a few pieces of cloth and resin before you take on the fairing. It'll give you an idea of the mess and timing of how fast the resin can harden. Also, make sure you prep the area with sandpaper DOWN TO THE BARE GLASS on the inside or the new repair won't stick and just seperate. On the outside, sand, use a flexible filler and paint. Once you do it the first time, it's a piece of cake later. Just don't get into the habit of doing it often. :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Not sure if any of you surf or have ever fixed a surf board but it's the same concept. I like using the surfboard materials to fix body work cuz it easier to work with (catalyst sets faster). Automotive fiberglass has been harder for me to work with.

Fiberglass takes patience and a lot of sanding. If you do it right, you'll have a hard time noticing you crashed at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.