Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hit the parking lot at my church and got some pics. any help or advice on my form is appreciated.

heres some details, im 6'3 and about 215. i was doing about 25 to 35 mph tops, and i have no strips left on the tires. my pucks are scraped on about the bottom 2/3. i already realize i couldve gotten my ass off the seat some more, and that would put the scrapes further up on the pucks, am i right?

i meant to take some pics of my tires and pucks, but i forgot. in some pics, you cant really see my knee for the shadows, but i assure you theyre on the ground.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
LOL Parking lot!!! that's funny!!!

well, sometimes its hard to tell by the pics. but yah, get yer ass off the seat.

other than that...
- try and keep your eyes level with the horizon
- try to look as far as you can thru the corner while keeping whats right infront of you in your peripheral (not that this really applies in a parking lot)
- where are your feet on the pegs? whenever you're not shifting or braking, you should have your feet as far back on the pegs as you can get them while still being able to support your weight.

other than that its hard to critique you based on pictures alone, but the pics look good!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by caboose
LOL Parking lot!!! that's funny!!!

well, sometimes its hard to tell by the pics. but yah, get yer ass off the seat.

other than that...
- try and keep your eyes level with the horizon
- try to look as far as you can thru the corner while keeping whats right infront of you in your peripheral (not that this really applies in a parking lot)
- where are your feet on the pegs? whenever you're not shifting or braking, you should have your feet as far back on the pegs as you can get them while still being able to support your weight.

other than that its hard to critique you based on pictures alone, but the pics look good!
my outside foot is centered on the peg while im on my toes with the inside.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The pictures look good, but the black pants and shadows make it kind of hard to see how much you are hanging off the bike and its hard to see your foot as well. Anyhow, I'm not one to critique because I have no experience with track days and have yet to drag a knee, although I have been thinking about doing this in a parking lot just recently as you have started yourself. It looks good, just don't fall and have a blast with it. Look up some articles on the computer about dragging knee, I found some cool ones that talk about tension in your arms, and how you should have your outside arm leaned against the tank while having the inside arm bent and relaxed. Try to act like your about to kiss your mirror, just a bunch of stuff like that, but from the looks of it your doing great.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Originally posted by psycho_penguin
i hit the parking lot at my church and got some pics. any help or advice on my form is appreciated.

heres some details, im 6'3 and about 215. i was doing about 25 to 35 mph tops, and i have no strips left on the tires. my pucks are scraped on about the bottom 2/3. i already realize i couldve gotten my ass off the seat some more, and that would put the scrapes further up on the pucks, am i right?

i meant to take some pics of my tires and pucks, but i forgot. in some pics, you cant really see my knee for the shadows, but i assure you theyre on the ground.
Man...I'd be really worried about loose gravel and stuff in that lot...

·
Registered
110 Posts
lol there is a chance that he might have done a slow pass to confirm the area was free of debris. maybe not though since it was dark out and he'd never been there before and he was up on one and doing 80 in a 30...

;) :)

a.s.

·
Registered
552 Posts
From the looks of it you are using way too much lean angle for your given speed. The less lean angle you use the faster you can go. I'd say in the third picture "hook" your outside leg on the bike so its holding you on the bike and not your arms. When you are hanging off the bike you should be able to take your arms off the bars and that leg should be able to keep you on the bike. The last thing I'd say is you should get your upper body off the bike more, the whole "kiss the mirror" technique or you can also put your nipple on the tank to get the same effect. Personally the nipple on the tank works best for me. Hope this helps.

Now if I can just listen to my own advise....

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
He's already p0osted that the lot is clean and he rides it regularly. And if you look at the pix closely, you can see the rubber he's laid down from repeat passes over the same spot. So by the time he too the photos, he'd been over that area a LOT.

His form looks ok, from what I can see (shadows blocking lower body/feet)... Not everyone hangs off the seat. He definitely has that bike at close to max lean angle though... hanging off a bit would give him a safety margin that I don't think he has in those pix. Definitely gettin it over, though. LOL.

·
Premium Member
5,830 Posts
It's kind of hard in a parking lot because you don't have an apex or exit to target on, but other than what I've already said, I'd suggest you also look farther through the turn if you can. In my opinion, it's much easier to look through the corner when you're on a track.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks all. when i saw the pics, the first thing i noticed is that i need to get off the seat more. as for weight on my arms, i didnt have much, my outside arm was against the tank most of the time.

yeah, i did run alot of slower passes to check for debris, and to heat my tires up some since my house is only like 5 minutes from there.

i definatly need some track time. i can only carry so much speed in a that lot, and like was said, theres no corner or apex to look for.

thanks again. other opinions still welcome.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Originally posted by aschendel
lol there is a chance that he might have done a slow pass to confirm the area was free of debris. maybe not though since it was dark out and he'd never been there before and he was up on one and doing 80 in a 30...

;) :)

a.s.
All it takes is a handful of shit that you didn't see. That's all I was saying. If it's a clean lot, and he knows it, fine. But I've never been there, thus I was saying, "I'd be worried about loose shit."

·
Registered
552 Posts
Get to the track and you'll never have to worry about turning in a parking lot again!

·
Registered
700 Posts
wtf? Take it to the track. there will be instructors there to critique yer form. Not on the damn parking lot....that's plain dumb.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Everyone keeps complaining about the shadows and dark colors... DO it again, but this time wear shorts and flip flops so they can see...:D

N

·
0 Posts
let the guy enjoy himself in the parking lot if he wants. 100% safe with no one around. he's not squiding around on public roads

u gotta work with what ya got

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Originally posted by ninjakid04636
let the guy enjoy himself in the parking lot if he wants. 100% safe with no one around. he's not squiding around on public roads

u gotta work with what ya got
[:+1]

·
Registered
486 Posts
Originally posted by aznridr
wtf? Take it to the track. there will be instructors there to critique yer form. Not on the damn parking lot....that's plain dumb.
Actually no, it's not. There is no gravel/cars/cliffs/whatever to deal with in a parking lot..

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Originally posted by aznridr
meh...the track would be more fun, yeah, and it'd be easier to get a critique versus a bunch of ass hats saying "OMGWTF"...but an empty parking lot in the middle of nowhere...it's hard to get more runoff for a 30mph spill than an ENTIRE PARKINGLOT, and as long as it's free of gravel, it's just about as good of a surface as any. My only concern was the gravel issue (in FL you never see a parkinglot that's that clean), but as long as that's not a factor, I don't see what's wrong with it. I actually think it's a great way to go somewhere local and free to practice and refine your form, which is exactly what he's doing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.