Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Labor Day we went up to Miller Motorsports Park (Tooele, UT) and had some fun tearin up the track. While I'm far from fast, I'm probably one of the faster people in the "B" group. This was my third day on the track, the first couple were last March and November at Jason Pridmore's STAR school, so I realize I'm far from pro. I think I need to get off the bike a little bit more with my upper body, in this pic I'm draggin toe and knee ...anyway here is a pic from one of the afternoon sessions...

by the way, I was really impressed with the Michelin Pilot Powers, the tire rep at the track recommends 37/38 lbs in them, but he put 34/35 in them, as compared to running 30/30 they get less torn up and seem to grip just as well.

·
Registered
389 Posts
"Kiss the mirror" is the tip I was given to get my upper body off the bike. The other advice I was given was to try to use reference points on the bike to be consistent in my body positioning. I try to put my outside elbow on the gas tank filler cap as one of my reference points. That seems to get me both low enough and outside of the fairing. Otherwise, looking good!

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have been pndering the same question. Don't have any pics yet thought. ALSO, about your tire pressure. The tire rep recommended 37 Front/38 Rear for the street and put 34 F/35 R for the track? I'm waiting on my PP's and was wondering what pressure to run once I get them on.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yeah Ernie's got the good hang off form. I like that other picture on the classic bike too.

by the way, I was really impressed with the Michelin Pilot Powers, the tire rep at the track recommends 37/38 lbs in them, but he put 34/35 in them, as compared to running 30/30 they get less torn up and seem to grip just as well.
Ryan31783: On the comment above, be aware that Miller has a super gorilla-grip surface. So what may seem to work great at Miller might be very different on another track.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Originally posted by Dylan Codebe aware that Miller has a super gorilla-grip surface. So what may seem to work great at Miller might be very different on another track.
I think I actually came off the track with more rubber on my bike than when I started. I pulled about a pound of rubber out of my lowers at the end of the day. That endurance auto race the saturday before labor day must have really layed down a lot.

And from my pics, I know my positioning needs a lot of work. It's always good to get pics of yourself riding, or even better to get video. So far my method has been: keep trying to improve until you look like a motogp rider... I think I still have about 20 more years of practice to go, but you should have seen the pics from when I started :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Everyone will have a different opinion regarding riding style. Are you comfortable? Are you not draggin any parts, including toes? Keep going, your doing fine.

The more you hang off, the more committed you are to the corner........and if/when you highside..........the less chance you will have to reposition yourself to try to recover.

[8]

·
Registered
94 Posts
I always look like a complete dork on the bike.. I can't really give you anything other than if you're comfortable with the way you're doing it, and going fast.. Keep doing it!

If not.. Try something else.. The biggest thing for me is I try to ride on the meaty part of the tires (less lean angle).. this requires me to hang off a lot.. Get your weight onto the pegs, and off the seat.. Riding on the meaty part allows you to pick the bike up off the corner quicker, and open the throttle earlier.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Originally posted by Dylan Code
Yeah Ernie's got the good hang off form. I like that other picture on the classic bike too.
Back in teh day:

This is a 72 Norton Commando I built to race Vintage in the early nineties. I got a couple trophies, and rebuilt the top end about once a month.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by Ryan31783
On Labor Day we went up to Miller Motorsports Park (Tooele, UT) and had some fun tearin up the track. While I'm far from fast, I'm probably one of the faster people in the "B" group. This was my third day on the track, the first couple were last March and November at Jason Pridmore's STAR school, so I realize I'm far from pro. I think I need to get off the bike a little bit more with my upper body, in this pic I'm draggin toe and knee ...anyway here is a pic from one of the afternoon sessions...

Get your upper body off and try rolling your inside shoulder [^] Look at Ernie's Picture for reference

·
Registered
41 Posts
I haven't been to LHM's track but I hear it's awesome. What do you have to race there? What kind of bike setup and what kind of leathers?

·
Registered
442 Posts
the further your butt is off the seat, the less you need to lean the bike. just what ive found out and been told :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
+1 on the dork part...but he sure looks fast doing it! ;)
Originally posted by trackpimp
I always look like a complete dork on the bike.. I can't really give you anything other than if you're comfortable with the way you're doing it, and going fast.. Keep doing it!

If not.. Try something else.. The biggest thing for me is I try to ride on the meaty part of the tires (less lean angle).. this requires me to hang off a lot.. Get your weight onto the pegs, and off the seat.. Riding on the meaty part allows you to pick the bike up off the corner quicker, and open the throttle earlier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.