Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the motorcycle world and have just gained interest this summer. I've been reading this forum for about 2 months or so now that I've been looking into the 250R as a starter. I've read my fair share of reviews and posts and finally made my decision. I've just ordered an '09 Green 250R tonight and it should hopefully be here by October. I'm 22 and had to make a very budgeted decision, which is a little sad, but at least I can start off with a bike I can really dig in to and build some kind of base before I go bigger.

Insurance here in Ontario, Canada is pretty ridiculous so I've got to keep the size low at least until I hit 25. I tried a few of the bikes tonight just out of curiosity and a green '08 ZX-6R happened to catch my eye. It was about $2500 cheaper than MSRP (seems to be a good time to buy) and I cannot begin to describe how beautiful of a motorcycle it is.

This is obviously not a starter bike, but after cruising this forum I had it in my mind to possibly switch to the ZX-6R after 3 years on the 250. My question here is how the hell can you guys stay comfortable on this thing? I know I'm new to the bike world, but do you guys/gals just build a tolerance? The bars are at a much lower position than other like the Ninja 650R I tried and at quite an extreme angle downwards. I know this must help when getting down as well as getting your body low when shifting your body weight on turn but on a day-to-day basis does it get to you?

Maybe I will understand once I have my own bike (my experience level has been about 10 rides on a 200cc Vespa) but I thought I might as well ask. The ZX-6R has been my switch plan for when I'm ready to up the anty, but is it really worth it for someone who probably won't hit up the track? I also don't live in a place like Cali (our roads suck) to take advantage of its capabilities. Haha, chances are I won't be considering a bike like this for quite the while, but I thought I might as well ask?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Wrong forum in my opinion.

Looking way too far ahead. You've ridden a Vespa. Once you get a 250R you might hate it. Don't get ahead of yourself.

If you do end up loving it, 3 seasons would be safe in my eyes. A lot safer than all the people who are going out right now and buying SS's just because they want gas mileage and the "crotch rockets" look cool.

Good luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
these bikes are designed as track machiens but 90% of sportbike riders don't even take their bikes to the racing tracks. have you ever wondered why people still buy it?

i don't want to use "we" so i'll use "I"

I got my bike because i like the feeling and the look of a sport bike. in my opinion a 600 is the bottom line of a sport bike, 250 is "sporty bike"but not the full definition of sport. if you're looking for comfort then get something else. -it does take time to get used to- but if its somehting you decide to go for, then go for a 600 straight. bikes are depreciating assets, no point of getting a 250 as a starter bike when you are going to upgrade into a 600 later on. simply its just not worth it.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I disagree with Dark, about starting out on a 600 straight off. Good on ya for havin a good head on your shoulders imo. 3 years is a good amount of time to get to grips with bikes before making a leap to a bigger machine (and it is a leap. I went from a 250 to my 636, and fooooooooook me.. wow. awesome tho). It's like learning to drive in a Porsche, but bigger consequences.

And yeah, like it's been said; the bikes were designed for the track, so it has a very sporty track-like position, which is a bit more than the 250. However, I use my 636 day in day out to go to work, run the twisties and cane the track, and you just build up the muscles in the right places. To start with, it was hard on the wrists and neck, but over time and miles, you just build up the strength in the areas that need it, and before you know it, you can go all day. My longest stint was 10 hrs, stopping every 2 - 2.5 hrs for gas, and the odd one for a drink and food. I was sore and stiff at the end of it, but still able to hack around the track the next morning, and ride back the day after. Then work and commuting as usual.

·
Registered
626 Posts
its not bad with the proper technique. for one, if your wrists/forearms hurt than youre putting too much weight on the wrists and holding on too tight to the bars. a light grip is best, and you should hold yourself up with your core body muscles (my stomach muscles actually got sore for the first couple days, and now that im used to it its no problem!)

it seems weird saying that you dont want to put much weight on your wrists when youre leaned forward like you are on a sportie. but its not hard to do. one way to alleviate it is to always cover your brake and clutch levers. that helps with the light grip, and then if you feel you have too much weight on your hands make sure you bend your elbows (dont straight arm it!) and hold yourself up with your stomach. its second nature now and i dont have to think about it at all.

and a light squeeze on the gas tank with your knees helps too :) and yes, the ZX-6 is a beautiful machine! i already knew i was going to buy a 600 Ninja, and seeing it in person sealed the deal for me. awesome bike!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Well I dont Disagree with either-however in my personal experiance "I" picked up the 2008 ZX6r as my FIRST bike, and I am extreamly happy with my purchase-I dont think that I could have started off on the 250-to me it's kinda like a Female bike, but that's just my opinion-i know plenty of guys that ride them-but to me, the entry level sport bike IS the zx6r-then you move up to the 1000...then 1400:D

·
Registered
213 Posts
I bought my first bike in April of this year. It was an 08 250. I traded it in after a month and a half for the zx6r. Now, I know that seems "wasteful" finacially, but that month and a half on the 250 I wouldn't trade for anything (experience wise) in the world.

Yes, the ergos on the zx are much different, and it took me a while to get used to it, but in the end I am much happier with my zx. The thing that got to me the most about the 250 was riding on the highway- it scared the crap out of me being blown around like a rag doll and not being able to pass 10 year old dodge neons. Besides that, the 250 is a great bike.

P.S. I don't track my bike, I use it to commute about 5 miles to work everyday and the occasional Sunday twisties run. (yes, I live in socal).

Hopefully that does something for ya- truthfully if I were to do it again, I'd get an older used 250 or even 500 and spend a few months on that, then upgrade. It will save you a good amount of coin. GL with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Be sure to check out State Farm insurance. I live in Ontario and got the bike (2008 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R) fully insured for 1800 a year.

P.S. I'm 21, male with 1 speeding ticket.

·
Registered
182 Posts
yea your 21 male, so what

i'm 19 male 1 claim last year, paying 700 /yr for my zx6r on insurance everything except collision.
basically the most expensive part of insurance is collision which takes about 60% of insurance fees. and if you look at the conditions of collision claim carefully, u'll realize that it is a complete rip off.

first you pay about 1K / year just to have that, then the deductable is another 1000 so basically every collision that is not hard enough to kill you, your have to pay outta your own pockets. okay ... WTF phuck that! i can use the money i saved from that 1000 to pay for my little scratches and stuff. way worth it.

edit:btw i live in canada too, Calgary and insurance is with blue circle or somethign like that

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the answers, most, if not all were helpful. I'm sure even riding the 250 will start using some muscles I've never used before, I guess it's just a question of habit and getting used to it. Hey polish eagle, yeah I;ve been planning to switch to State Farm from All state, they are cheaper plus they give a student discount. I have some rough tickets on my record and on December 29th it will have been 3 years without a ticket so my rates drop to about half. This means I will have to wait until 2009 to ride the bike ($908 instead of $2200). Even if insurance wasn;t an issue i don't think Id want to start on a ZX-6R, I don't want to be a scared shitless rider, I'd rather try to push the bike to it's limits once I build up the comfort and confidence.

Again, I appreciate all the comments, and when the time comes for a 600 I think this might be the one.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Once you learn to sit on the bike correctly you might find that it's a lot more comfortable then you think it is.

·
Registered
429 Posts

i'm 19 male 1 claim last year, paying 700 /yr for my zx6r on insurance everything except collision.
basically the most expensive part of insurance is collision which takes about 60% of insurance fees. and if you look at the conditions of collision claim carefully, u'll realize that it is a complete rip off.

first you pay about 1K / year just to have that, then the deductable is another 1000 so basically every collision that is not hard enough to kill you, your have to pay outta your own pockets. okay ... WTF phuck that! i can use the money i saved from that 1000 to pay for my little scratches and stuff. way worth it.

edit:btw i live in canada too, Calgary and insurance is with blue circle or somethign like that
One thing you don't realize is that insurance is based on CC, and location (province, city and Postal code). I do know Ontario does have some high rates, so come down to ontario and do a quote here, probably wont be the same rate.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Not all providers look at motorcycle insurance the same so generalizations as to how it works would best be avoided. Some make a big deal out of the classification "sportbike", whereas others, like Statefarm, care less about clipons, plastic and a high zoot I4 and just want to know the engine size.

Don't forget either that the history of all claims on any given motorcycle have a HUGE impact on rates. Think of how frequently sportbikes are stolen, crashed, and even fraudulently claimed (hell, I've seen people plotting fraudlent claims on many boards, which is humorous since many companies employ individuals whose only job is to investigate fraud and you better believe that they check message boards.) Consider the implications of things like "Ninja" or "GSX-R". I remember back when I was selling my SV650S and was checking out rates on a new bike and my Allstate agent told me "as long as you don't get one of those Ninjas you'll be fine." Funny!

........how did this turn into a discussion on insurance?

·
Registered
626 Posts

if you have some tiny scratches or a broken mirror from a minor spill dont report it, simple as that. but if someone rear ends you, destroys your rear wheel, swingarm, brake, and sprocket, Collision is nice to have. im only paying 600/yr for my ZX-6 with State Farm, while other companies wanted 2000 or more.

personally, i wouldnt roll without it, especially on a new bike. my deductable is 500 as well, and im 27 with a good record and good credit, in a low crime area. lots of things go into figuring insurance, and to me being without collision is too much of a gamble!

·
Registered
429 Posts
if you have some tiny scratches or a broken mirror from a minor spill dont report it, simple as that. but if someone rear ends you, destroys your rear wheel, swingarm, brake, and sprocket, Collision is nice to have. im only paying 600/yr for my ZX-6 with State Farm, while other companies wanted 2000 or more.

personally, i wouldnt roll without it, especially on a new bike. my deductable is 500 as well, and im 27 with a good record and good credit, in a low crime area. lots of things go into figuring insurance, and to me being without collision is too much of a gamble!
For my insurance I decided to add collision because it only costs me 50$/month more than having it without. Also, I talked with my State Farm agent and she told me that during the off season I can call back and have collision removed from my policy and save the money then. All in all I think State Farm has the best rates for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.