Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 ZX6R and have been looking at some slip ons but saw a guy who made his own exhaust that came out right behind the lower faring. Well I was thinking about doing something similar, only rather than coming out behind the fairing I was going to cut an oval in the rear of the right lower fairing and have the exhaust tubing mount through the opening (about 1/4") or flush with it. Anyone have any experience with this? I have worked with exhaust on my Cobra but don't have too much experience with my bike other than some basic stuff. It looks like a pretty basic mod and would only require a small amount of exhaust piping.

Anyone know what the diamater of the stock exhaust piping is?

How would the fairing do being that close to the exhaust?

I'm sure it'll be loud but the guy who did it to his said it sounded great rather than like crap.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Josh

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey there bro, check out the motowerkz exhaust...

Might be what you're looking for. Friend told me about it so I went ahead and bought one, it's in the mail now... or will be soon at least.

Great customer service too.

As far as making your own I have no idea what exactly you need, but you would prolly need some kind of heat shield with the exhaust being so close to the plastics, no idea.

In another forum that's active right now about the 05/06 undertail there's a guy with an exhaust similar to what you're talking about. Pics of it are on the first page of that thread.

·
Registered
78 Posts
the stock piping is 2"-2.25" in diameter and the plastics dont really have to be shielded that much i have a piece of my exhaust touching and all i did was put heat reflective tape on the fairing and so far no problems at all go with something other than that motorworkz exhaust if your gona be on the street or your really gona piss people off and it does get old when your on the interstate all the time

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I was just going to buy some 2" piping from a place out here and bend it myself. Once I got it where I wanted it I was going to cut the hole in the fairing and mount the pipe. I was thiinking of taking it to a shop and maybe having some hangers welded in to hold it where I have it mounted.

Who is motorworkz? What do they do?

Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
its motowerkz my bad but they make a gp style exhaust kinda similar to what you are talking about doing i would just go custom because i have a feeling it will be cheaper. also how do u intend on bending the pipe and are you going to put a baffle in

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its motowerkz my bad but they make a gp style exhaust kinda similar to what you are talking about doing i would just go custom because i have a feeling it will be cheaper. also how do u intend on bending the pipe and are you going to put a baffle in
I was hoping I could bend it with a pipe bender or have a shop bend it for me. It barely needs to be bent based on where the header is bolted the the rest of the exhaust. I don't plan on putting a baffle in it but I haven't thought about it either. What would you recommend doing? I was going to give a couple custom exhaust shops or some places that deal with custom bikes out here a call to get some quotes on it. Any input on what would be the best route to go would be great, i'm not too familiar with making any sort of custom exhaust setups.

Thanks

Josh

·
Registered
78 Posts
if you go custom there are a couple things you have to figure out all your issues first like the fairing issue, where your going to get the pipe, what gauge, and how your going to quite that thing down. the way i would approach this find a shop that can meet all your metal working needs this means mandrel bent pipe and only mandrel bent. depending on if you like your pipes blue and gold and stuff like that go with a thin gauge pipe like 18 gauge if not go 16 gauge. as for cutting the fairing worry about that last also is this a street only bike or will you be getting nice and low draging a knee then you may want to look at new rear sets or the riser plates that are sold from this sites sponsor this will allow for more mounting room and room to bend the pipe a lil differently. as far as baffles go thats where it gets tricky you dont have much room to place and lengthy baffle in place but if you are getting a shop to do this they may have some alternatives to these few methods. you could try a power cone, or disc baffle, or somthing i have been thinking about is cutting the the pipe down the center and making your own version of a disc baffle buy cutting out circles the exact diameter of the pipe and drilling small holes all through out the circles then have them weld the disc one inch apart then fill in the space between with stainless steel muffler packing use at least 3 disc. hope this helps

and let me know how it goes

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info, i'm goin to do my research and talk to some places out here. Hopefully I can get some additional info from them. I'l definitely let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here are some pictures of my exhaust. I cut the headers where it goes 4 into 2 made a 4 into 1 the can is 60 mm inlet and the can is just under 300mm long. hope this give you some ideas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts