Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, well to go along with my ducati tail swap, im going with an undertail exhaust. now im torn between going with the 999 termignoni or going with a dual can 998 termi exhaust. so in order for this to work, i would be taking my stock headers, removing the midpipe and have a custom one bent and welded on. or, perhaps i should look into getting some aftermarket headers and then having the same work done to that. any input on which type i should go with and what kind of headers i should go with would be appreciated. one more thing, as long as i take my bike and get it properly mapped the exhausts should work fine, right?

·
Registered
532 Posts
well first off, good luck, secondly if you go with aftermarket headers you will prob have to a full system and thats some $$$ to be cutting up. exhaust are very hard to self engineer and make big power. thats why they cost so much...so once again good luck

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i know a guy who owns his own custom shop, so having the work done wont cost me an arm and a leg. besides, my boss doesnt seem like he's getting me that computer, so i've got cash to blow. as well, i just fully paid off the bike a month ago so no more monthly payments. i'm not looking for massive gains in horsepower from the exhaust, i figure as long as i can shed some weight by switching to a lighter can/s with a straight through design. most of the power will be coming from tweaking the engine a little later on down the road.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Did you ever get the tail mounted on? You know they had to do alot of metal work to the gas tank to get it to blend in with the ducati tail right? I would love to see progress pictures

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
other than a height mock up, the tail really hasnt been mounted permanently yet. the subframe only came a few days ago actually. for now im just really stuck on which exhaust to go with.

yeah the shop that's going to be working on the exhaust is a custom chopper shop, so theyre going to be doing the metal work on the tank too. its great because a girl i work with really wants to see this project finished, and the owner of the chopper shop is a very close friend of hers (he's been going to her grandfathers karate dojo for 20 odd years) , so i get a deal [8D]

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
good luck!!!...mine is still a work in progress.....

get a 636 header pipe....s-bend up through the swing arm and out the back....cake!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
excellent, there's someone selling brand new 636 headers on ebay for $70. im still debating on whether or not i should keep all my old parts so that if i ever do want to sell it, i can just sell the bike back in stock form, and then the other stuff i can sell seperately. or i could sell off my old parts and that new undertail i got for some extra project cash.

·
Registered
11 Posts
badassjake. is your tail a 636 tail? what did you do as far as taking the pipe and running it under the seat. did you use the same like 2 inch pipe, or a smaller pipe like the 636 has on it?

·
Registered
939 Posts
70 is to much for a 636 header i got mine on ebay for 20 shipped.and i can assure you assure you it will bolt up. i might suggest swapping a 05 swingrm since it has a hole cut for the exhuast and i believe it bolts up with only spacers. some one on here did it and i think said they could make everthing needed to do the swap for around 50 or so... plus those swingarms are also cheap on ebay.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
candygreen...i had a Hindle front system and just kept the same diameter...2" O.D.

the stock for the bends was a food grade stainless...from a friend[8D]

my friend welded the pipe up, as I cut and angled the way I wanted....basically ....FREE.

Jason

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
really eh, would my 99 rear wheel bolt right up to the 05 swingarm? i had planned to eventually do a swingarm swap as well. as for the headers, iduno 70$ cdn to my door for nearly brand new headers seemed fair to me. the guy was hella fast sending them out too, got here 3 days after i paid.

im almost concrete on the kind of exhaust im going with now though.. i was thinking of getting dual zx10 akra hex carbon cans. thatd look damn nice i think. im still waiting to hear from borderline though, that guys hard to get a hold of.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i am currently working on doing the undertail exhaust mod on my 2001 zx6r. the swing arm from 05-06 fit fine and you dont need the spacers for the swing arm however you may have to fab the brake caliper bracket.and trim the spacers (i.e if you are going with the stock wheels) let me know how it goes!

·
Andre 3000
1,092 Posts
I am going to try a custom GP type exhaust using an 03 363 header that came in last week and an Arrow mid-pipe. Having a tough time ordering the mid-pipe when I am only planning on slash cutting the end off just past the pegs. I am scared it won't fit like I think it will and everyone charges a 20% restocking fee. This guy on ebay wants 30%.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-0...018QQitemZ280008903141QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
nope.....right where it's supposed to be...picture kinda blacks it out...if i used the 636 battery tray you'd never notice that it doesn;t really belong there in the first place..LOL

that's the cool part...the tail is almost a plug&play mod...

Jason

·
Registered
109 Posts
Originally posted by badassjake
good luck!!!...mine is still a work in progress.....

get a 636 header pipe....s-bend up through the swing arm and out the back....cake!!!
I recently got a 07' ZZR600 and wondering if the setup for your undertail and exhaust will work on it as well? I'm new to riding and still learning about the ZZR600, I like what you've done!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.