Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I'm not sure where I should have posted this, but after finding out how much it costs to get custom vinyl cut ($100 for eight 5"x2.5" decals!!!), I decided that it might be worth it to invest in my own desktop plotter and cut my own. Not just for the bike, but for other hobby applications as well (stenciling, etc). I know how much decals cost to make and to know this place wanted to charge me a $20 MINIMUM per "custom" decal was just sickening.

I'm no graphics amateur either.

ANYWAY....

They're having a sale on a 12" wide model and if I do get it, I'd offer up some ULTRA cheap decal cutting services for anyone who is interested. I'd probably buy rolls of the basic vinyl colors and then go from there.

Any takers out there?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm a taker...

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
I hate it how they take 35 dollars for one small ass NINJA decal if I ever want to re-badge. But then they are authentic product anyways. I don't get why custom should be so damn expensive though. Might as well as go to a craft store buy their cheap stickers if anyone is too cheap.:Laughing rolling:

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that's at least two people haha. I can get the OEM Ninja graphic in a file format no problem GNeo (along with other brands).

Kelly, one of these :) It's a plotter. Similar to an inkjet printer, only it cuts with a blade that follows vector curves from an illustration program. Voila! Custom decals.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Well that's at least two people haha. I can get the OEM Ninja graphic in a file format no problem GNeo (along with other brands).

Kelly, one of these :) It's a plotter. Similar to an inkjet printer, only it cuts with a blade that follows vector curves from an illustration program. Voila! Custom decals.

thanks, I'd be interested. have a few ideas I'd like to pursue. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah Beast. Let's see if you can get this thing off the ground. I'd be down. I was just wondering today how I might be able to get a specific decal...

Keep us up to date!

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
All I have to say is that you get what you pay for. You buy cheap materials and a cheap printer ... you are going to get a cheap decal that fades, cracks, smears, etc... Unfortunately, I am not a taker. ckruzel handles all my custom work and does a DAMN fine job for an exceptional price!

·
Registered
101 Posts
My hulk decals were expensive . I had them scanned from wall decals with out adhesive.
But the guy didn't photo shop any blemishes out and took forever.
Beast see what you can do with the plotter, you might have something there.
You know all about good materials and inks.. being an artist.

Reactions: kkim

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
All I have to say is that you get what you pay for. You buy cheap materials and a cheap printer ... you are going to get a cheap decal that fades, cracks, smears, etc... Unfortunately, I am not a taker. ckruzel handles all my custom work and does a DAMN fine job for an exceptional price!
You obviously don't know how a plotter or the process works. So before you begin bashing my personal knowledge, let me educate you before you hurt yourself:

1) ckruzel probably uses a similar type of vinyl cutter, if not a larger one for larger work (naturally). And no they ARE NOT CHEAP. The only differences are the physical unit size, the types of materials they can cut, and the speed in which they cut them. For simple applications like logos and sponsor decals, they all FUNCTION THE SAME.

2) The vinyl that is used is sign quality and rated for 6 years of outdoor use exposed to the sun. And fyi, there is nothing to "smear" because there is no ink involved.

Unfortunately, I am not a taker. ckruzel handles all my custom work and does a DAMN fine job for an exceptional price!
That is fine. No one forced you to suddenly order from "this new guy who apparently doesn't know jack shit about graphics or simple sign-making". This is not a serious business venture I'm partaking in anyway. This was merely a service I was going to provide to my fellow board members because everyone has been so great here...a favor if you will. I'm not trying to take away your buddy ckruzel's business at all. Even if a couple people ask for graphics, then it's just a couple people. Geezus.

I planned on buying the plotter for personal use ANYWAY before I even considered offering anything on the board.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I hate it how they take 35 dollars for one small ass NINJA decal if I ever want to re-badge. But then they are authentic product anyways. I don't get why custom should be so damn expensive though. Might as well as go to a craft store buy their cheap stickers if anyone is too cheap.:Laughing rolling:
That's way to much $$$. You can get all the cheap (and good quality) Ninja stickers you want here:

http://www.xtremedecals.com/

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
You obviously don't know how a plotter or the process works. So before you begin bashing my personal knowledge, let me educate you before you hurt yourself:

1) ckruzel probably uses a similar type of vinyl cutter, if not a larger one for larger work (naturally). And no they ARE NOT CHEAP. The only differences are the physical unit size, the types of materials they can cut, and the speed in which they cut them. For simple applications like logos and sponsor decals, they all FUNCTION THE SAME.

2) The vinyl that is used is sign quality and rated for 6 years of outdoor use exposed to the sun. And fyi, there is nothing to "smear" because there is no ink involved.

That is fine. No one forced you to suddenly order from "this new guy who apparently doesn't know jack shit about graphics or simple sign-making". This is not a serious business venture I'm partaking in anyway. This was merely a service I was going to provide to my fellow board members because everyone has been so great here...a favor if you will. I'm not trying to take away your buddy ckruzel's business at all. Even if a couple people ask for graphics, then it's just a couple people. Geezus.

I planned on buying the plotter for personal use ANYWAY before I even considered offering anything on the board.
I don't believe I bashed you to begin with. Sorry you took it so personally. You are right, I don't know shit about the process of creating decals ... or know ckruzel personally. What I DO know is that I've paid lots of money for shitty decals before. If you have good equipment and create quality products for a good price, more power to ya man. That is what ckruzel has done for me in the past and I have greatly appreciated it. Didn't mean to upset ya man. It's all good.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts

Yeah bro, you might wanna cut back on the caffeine. I don't think that he was tryin' to insult or upset you. He was just throwin' in his .02...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep, there are a lot about decals, especially about raw vinyl, that people don't usually know about. Where it's made, which method was used, thickness, etc. The decals may all look about the same, but the raw vinyl used makes a huge difference in quality.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
interested. subscribed

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't believe I bashed you to begin with. Sorry you took it so personally. You are right, I don't know shit about the process of creating decals ... or know ckruzel personally. What I DO know is that I've paid lots of money for shitty decals before. If you have good equipment and create quality products for a good price, more power to ya man. That is what ckruzel has done for me in the past and I have greatly appreciated it. Didn't mean to upset ya man. It's all good.
Speed, thanks for clearing that up. I didn't mean to come down on you like that and I apologize. It's really hard to read the "tone" of a persons message especially when it comes to criticism on these boards at times. But that is exactly what I plan to do, just on a very small scale. No full body vinyl wraps or anything :)

Yeah bro, you might wanna cut back on the caffeine. I don't think that he was tryin' to insult or upset you. He was just throwin' in his .02...
Hahaha. I considered it a passive aggressive post originally not just throwing in his ".02". When someone accuses you subtly of offering an inferior service and they will have no part in it at all for that reason what was I supposed to think? Anyway, it's all clear now Collin.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts