I bought one of those L-shaped brakets off of e-bay called a universal fender eliminator kit. I looked under the bike and saw it is all one piece of plastic. What do you use to cut the area so the bracket can fit in? Thanks
With the 2003 6R and any R6 Yamaha, the fender is actually detachable, but with the 2002 and previous 6R's, it's an integrated piece, so this little mod becomes much more costly and difficult. You could buy an integrated tail piece, but I recommend you do a search of this forum for "eliminator" or "fender" and check out what many members have done... maybe you'll stumble across a look or part that you want... there's some absolutely BEAUTIFUL jobs done...
That part you bought will work AFTER you get the undertail kit.
"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."
If you are refering to the piece that I think you are then you will have to remove the plastic. The best thing that I know of for cutting that sort of stuff is a dremel tool. Like dj said though, look into some of the stuff other people have done and perhaps you will see somethnig like what you are doing. Good luck.
Loose is fast and on the edge you're out of control.
Dremel's tend to melt the plastic instead of cutting it. A saw would work fine. You bought a fender eliminator? Why not get a piece of sheet metal and cut one yourself? Four 10 cent L brackets from Home depot screwed into the bottom of the plastic will work after you cut everything off.
Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.
I used a dremel to take that horific looking dirt bike style fender off of my 6R after I bought it. I guess it sort of melted the plastic some. But it was in a straight line and came out exactly the way that I wanted it to so who cares. Now tell me how you plan to get a saw in there and really have room to work. Sorry but I don't see it happening buddy. Anyways ward, good luck however you decide to do it.
Loose is fast and on the edge you're out of control.
I did the back of my bike with a dremel and it worked great. It does melt it a bit but leaves a better...smoother cut IMO. I didn't want to go the fender eliminator kit way so I moved my plate bracket up to where the reflector was under the tail lights and mounted the short stalks right under the fairing into the trunk. Check out the photos under Bike Pix 2.
Old enough to know better...young enough not to care.
I used a hacksaw also and it worked fine. For anyone who still hasn't remounted their lic. plate try this. If your plate has 4 holes in it like Ontario plates (the two top ones are originaly used to mount it to the fender), all you have to do is mount the plate at the same place but by using the bottom holes. You also have to turn that little mounting bracket upside down. This way the plate is tucked in tightly under the rear tail lights and the light that comes out form under the tail lights still illuminates the plate making it perfectly legal. A cop tried to bust me because he saw that I had moved my plate, but I showed him that the plate light still worked.
Anyways, once its in position then you can see how much of the fender you can hack off (which is almost all of it). You only need to leave enough so that the plate can be mounted but you dont even see it since the plate will cover it completely. Couple this with integrated rear signals and you have a clean rear end. Sorry dont have any pics to show you guys.
Probably someone already posted this but here it goes anyway. I got the dremel out and started hacking away. to make it faster I got the biggest drill bit I have and drilled holes as close to each other as possible along the contour I wanted to keep, giving myself some room for error. then with the dremel I played "connect the dots". This reduced the time greatly since I didnt have to dremel the whole thing and getting the dremel clogged with the melting plastic. then I got out my orbital sander and gave the left over fender an even and smooth shape. I cut all the way to the trunk without going into it. Then I removed the red reflector and drilled one hole to mount the license plate bracket. I used one of the existing holes for the right side bolton the bracket. Then I measured and marked on both sides of the trunk for the short stalk signal lights. My mark put me right at the lower corner of the trunk. I mounted the lights and wired. It came out real good (in my opinion). The license plate is still illuminated by the tail lights and the signal lights come out just past the license plate. It cleaned up the rear of the bike enough for my likes. And it looks better everytime I think about the $400 I saved. I will post pics once I get a chance
I think buying a dremel would be a waste of money. I just ook of my tail section, like 6 bolts, and used a jigsaw for the big areas, and a tiny hand saw for the tight areas. It turned out really good, and it doesn't matter how straight the lines, they are hidden under the undertail. It was rather easy, considering i really don't have too much experience with body work. Just a few hours, and the nerve to actually start cutting away pieces of your bike.
A forum community dedicated to all Kawasaki motorcycles including the ZX-6R, KLR 650, Ninja 250, Ninja 250R, and Vulcan. Come join the discussion about performance, modifications, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!