Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 1996 ZX6R, 23K on the clock, everything stock standard.

Heading in to work this morning on the commute and pulling out into the fast lane, I opened the throttle up as usual but a little more enthusiastically than normal, the bike revved up to about the 11 or 12k mark ( redline is ~14) and was pulling hard when all of a sudden it sounded like a misfire and the thing died, seemd to splutter a bit then recover. I pulled in the clutch, let it settle then opened up the clutch again, then all seemed fine up to and around the 6 to 8k mark.. and it took me in just as normal, at lower revs it sounded fine.

Has anyone experienced this before, it happened for the first time this morning... and if so, anyone know what might be causing it?

Is there a rev-limiter on the bike which would cause this? I have seen the same effect happen in cars too when you rev them too hard.

It was wet this morning and last night, so maybe a misfire from damp electrics, or something more serious?

The valves are most likely needing done, could high revs cause a misfire becasue of valves being out of adjustment?

Cheers for any suggestions you might have

Ali

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
no there's no rev limiter...i've pushed my bike at 160 for miles....as many of them that i'll go through over a period of 3 minutes.

However, something similar has happened to me on my ex500. I was gunning the bike wide open throttle and then it cut out on me (similar to a governor in a car) and then I heard a backfire, and the bike died...EXACTLY WHAT YOU DESCRIBED.... But that was because I ran out of gas, then I just switched to reserve and was cool. I'm thinking that your problem is something more serious, seeing that you have an extra 10,000 miles. I doubt that you blew the engine, so my guess would be that it's an ignition issue, check your plugs n wires... I'm sure that someone else on the boards has a better response for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
OK, so it does not have a rev limiter, makes sense I guess, did not think so, but was just checking..
The thing is, I am now a bit concerned about gunning it full throttle again in case I blow the thing up as you suggested I might have done!! How easy would it be to wreck it completely... I do not want to find out...
It does backfire a bit now and again, but only on the hard decel, but again only if I have been running it at higher revs.
Never really heard of this cutting out happening before, was certainly running it at these higher revs earlier in the summer and never experienced this..
will see if anyone else on the forum has the same experience..

Cheers
A

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have experience jetting carbs and reading plugs for rich/lean readings though not with his model bike. He says its stock, so im not thinking rejet, but my experience with sputtering at high revs is running out of fuel for the amount of air (lean) or vice versa, to much fuel and not enough air (rich). In my troubleshooting in the past I have removed air filters for a test pass to determine if it gets worst or clears up.. obviously if it pulls hard to redline with no air filter you probably have an air starve issue etc that could be as simple as a dirty clogged air filter.

I dont think its spark related, my experience spark is an all fail (no ignition at all) or good spark at all rpms

good luck troubleshooting

·
Registered
374 Posts
The valves are most likely needing done, could high revs cause a misfire becasue of valves being out of adjustment?

yes if you have some valves tight and not closing all the way
but you would most likely have hard starting issues when the engine is hot also

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi again and thanks for all the input,
I think that the bike DOES run richer than it ought to, I have had the pilot jets re-set to make sure that is not what it is and had the air filter off to clean it too, how effective that was I am not sure. Maybe I just need a new filter.
As I said in the original post, it does backfire on decel a bit which is either because it is too rich or a problem with small air leak in the exhaust or manifold joint, or valves?
I never thought about taking it a run with the filter off to check, is that not a bit risky ?
I am now concerned that I might really damage it if I try to take it up to the 11k mark again to see if I can resolve the problem, without working out what the problem was in the first place !
Also, is temperature an issue, could revving a cold engine too hard cause this too?

Thanks for all your replies.

A

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another thought...

could it have been carb icing by any chance that I experienced? it was a pretty cold morning and I have just read that zx6's are prone to it...

·
Registered
374 Posts
as far as a test run without an air filter or with no airbox lid it is not risky.. remember this is a test run to determine is the problem worst or better or the same.. and remember its water cooled not air so you wont burn a piston etc..
carb icing? sorry never experienced it so I wont guess.
backfire on decel.. yes rich mixture and small exhaust leak I agree, nothing to worry about, ever see the flames come out the exhaust of race bikes on decel? same issue there

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks freebird,
I will try taking the air filter out when the temperature here gets above 5 degrees C and the rain ever stops !! We are starting to get into winter now and it is getting much less fun to ride into work: dark at 6 on the drive home with the rain pouring down, stuck in 4 lanes of traffic is not so good for the spirit ... British biking for you though!

Thanks for all who posted suggestions.
A

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.