1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not need for tape.

Step one: Pilot hole
Step two: Hole saw for your drill.

Use the dremel and you're going to be sad. Be sure to cut from the outside. It will leave some ugly edges and you want those on the inside so they can't be seen.

Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
349 Posts
[xx(]

I want to put better frame sliders into my J1 2000 ZX6R. The wee little fake frame sliders don't do much.

I relocated my coolant overflow bottle to under my gas tank -- I used a smaller (1/2 size) bike bottle. Now I need to (gasp) cut my fairings to get frame sliders onto the engine mount bolt holes.

What's the best/least messy/painful way to cut fairings for sliders? I was thinking: 1) tape up the area to try and prevent cracks 2) Drill a guide hole, 1st small, then big 3) Use a dremel to cut (sigh)

'00 ZX6R silver

·
Registered
418 Posts
It won't crack, its ABS plastic. Get your long bolts, hang each one out in turn and paint the end with tippex. Screw on the panel and the tippex will leave an impression on the inside of the panel which will act as your hole centre. Use a holesaw which is a full circle as the ones with a split in the blade expand as they spin up.

Ash

Live to ride, Erm Erm, Where are my Car Keys ?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I wasn't getting good results by marking the inside of the fairing using the head of the motor mount bolt. I bought a couple of 2 1/2" wood screws at the local hardware eporium and epoxied them to the head of the motor mount bolt and then rolled them on a flat surface to make sure the point was running concentric. I put the bolts back in, remounted the lower fairings and then backed the bolts out until they made the equivalent of a center (centre for our U.K. friends) punch mark in the lower.

I ended up with a perfect fit. The R&G sliders are nice because the part of the slider that goes through the fairing is undercut to 1".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.