Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did y'all use to cut the fairings for a slider install? I'm sure I could go in there with a drill and a dremel, but I don't want it to look like shite.

Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I used a dremel on mine and a friends and both turned out great. Just takes a lot of time to go little by little. Take your best guess at where the center is and drill a hole. I just worked my way out from there by cutting a little at a time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you do anything to seal the paint around the edge so it doesn't start flaking off from there?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I didn't, but I've seen some pics around here where people used a thin black rubber stripping along the cut edge.

I used a dremel tool to cut mine.

·
Registered
390 Posts
i used that exact dremel to cut my fairing. was easy and came out pretty much perfect. its not too expensive either.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Best sliders out there and as far as the cutting goes...here is all you need to do...

Put some duct tape on the bodywork covering the area that will be cut/grinded off...use a sand paper roll an you should be fine...

Did this to mine 1 1/2 years ago and no paint this or that issues...no black plastic trim or anything else.
Bodywork comes off and goes on regulary and NO ISSUES, i have about 4mm gap from the metal mounts versus the fairing.
If you need close ups let me know and i will post them up

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man... the bolt for the right side isn't quite long enough to grab the threading. It goes in fine without the lathed aluminum part but put it all together and it's too short. WTF? Surely they aren't *all* the wrong size are they?

Does anyone with yoyodynes recall if the bolts for the left and right sides are different lengths? Mine are the same length for left and right.

Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, is the large grooved motor mount nut supposed to stay on? I don't see how this could possibly fit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's a pic of the old and new bolts. The old one mounts flush against the frame. The new one about 1cm offset from the slider itself... which makes it too short.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i went with motovation frame sliders. you could start with a 1 inch hole saw on a drill to get started and then do fine touches with a dremel. i used a carbide bit in an ingersole and shve the plastic really slow. turn out okay

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.