Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tightening the nut on the triple tree is up to the dealers to torque it correctly to spec, so if it is too tight, they should be bitching at their prep guys. It is on tight as hell (when I took it off to put a damper on a breaker bar was the only way possible), but not obtrusive into any steering input. The whole tank slapper thing and difficulty steering at speed and high lean are exagerated by these people, I've never experienced any more problems than with my RC51 and any other bike I've ridden. A damper does help, but doesn't it for any race-bred bike?

·
Registered
150 Posts
dude, i feel that.... when i got my bike the steering felt heavy and it didnt have any headshake at all..

i dropped it about a month ago and now the steering feels lighter and i get some crazy tank slappers occasionally. I think when the bike fell over it loosened that steering nut up... But maybe im a retard too???? [:p]

·
Registered
271 Posts
Anyone care to comment?

"Like many Kawasakis we've tested over the years, our ZX-6R came with its steering-head nut torqued down so tightly that the bike felt like it was wearing a steering damper. Of course, it wasn't, and this stickiness simply inhibited the front wheel's ability to 'find center' the very function trail is meant to perform. With its stem too tight, the 6R's chassis displayed worrisome weave and wobble. And when we had a Kawasaki tech loosen things up at the racetrack, we experienced the opposite effect, the front end breaking into big tankslappers through high-speed, quick-transition chicanes. A proper steering damper would work wonders."

The whole article: http://www.cycleworld.com/index.cfm?siteaction=OnlineReviews&reviewid=4

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.