Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After loosing a wheel off my trailer over vacation, I had to load up my wifes bike with my sons dirt bike. No room for the Z. Sooooo I start riding it somewhere in northeastern Arizona to get to the next town. (For those that don't know, the towns are like 100 miles apart up there with nothing in between.) It's about 25 degrees with a 30 mph side wind and I've got 75 miles to go. It had been snowing off and on all day and then it really started. So I end up riding about 40 miles of the trip in blowing snow but it didn't get really fun until there was about an inch on the road. Rode through that for about 5 miles trying to stay in the tracks in front of me and close enough to the cars to see since the snow was packing up on top of my visor, melting and running down the inside. Instantly fogged unless it was halfway open.

Lots of good fun, but I'm glad I got that new 208 instead of the almost bald one that was on there. Never slipped a bit when I kept it below 3K. Don't even ask why I didn't stop. You couldn't get out of the wind anywhere to get warm, I wasn't leaving my bike behind in Indian territory and who knew if it was going to get worse. Of course it cleared up after I got it on another trailer.

To top it all off, someone stole the trailer off the side of the road before the tow truck even got there. Then on the way home someone stole my sons bike out of the back of the truck at a hotel. Spent 2 hours looking around at 4:30am and finally found it down on a river bed untouched. All in all, one hell of a trip.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Holy shit man - the good part is that this is the sort of thing that's hard to make up, so the insurance people shouldn't give you too much poo.

I got some squided-out D207's for getting around in the winter here - I can't be arsed to put on some rain tires for the duration. They work well indeed - I'd be fooked it I was on H2's!

·
Registered
882 Posts
I got caught in the snow in early February this year... I had made it about 35km with no trouble. When I turned down my street, nothing but snow, a couple centimeters of it. I spun the bike twice just feathering the clutch. My neighbours think I'm totally insane. The dude across the street told me that I didn't possess a healthy, human amount of fear.

And I don't even stunt.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Wow, sounds like a helluva good vacation!! [8D]

...Say, you wouldn't happen to know the Griswalds would you?
j/k ;)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Yeah, riding in the snow was always great fun when I lived in Boulder.
Nothing like going up and down 36 in the snow, with SUV after SUV flying past me at 70mph while I'm creeping along at ~45.

I always got home, just cold, wet, and a little later than I would have preferred.

BC.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I've only ever ridden in a downfall of snow once. Got caught out on what started out as a decent, but cold day, and one of the guys I was riding with chucked it into a ditch and did some pretty bad damage to a '96 ZX6R. He gathered up what he could in the way of plastic parts that were salvageable and stuffed 'em into his leathers, and we started heading home (his forks were bent and he couldn't really turn left too far), and wouldn't ya know it... it started to snow, fairly heavy. We made it home in one piece, but you should have seen the looks we were getting from the cagers on the trip back. [:eek:)]

Oh well, it was the guy who crashed who convinced us it'd be a great day to ride... we didn't wanna go. So it's all on him... ;)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
all hardcore riders have ridden in the snow at one time or another...it's kinda fun and scary at the same time....

I tell you one thing, it makes you smooth on the throttle and braking (if you brake at all)....

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I don't think I've ever ridden in more then 1/4" of snow. I tried to take my bike out one day when there was about a foot outside - I made sure the path to my driveway and shed where I keep my bike was clear, but I still couldn't make it out of the yard. I would let the clutch out, and with no gas the tire would be spinning. The idle is set at the normal speed, but because I had shoveled the path the night before, it was glazed over with a nice sheet of ice by the morning. Looked like snow, but sure as hell wasnt. [:0]

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I think riding in the snow would be fun and all, but I don't think I would feel comfortable risking my $11,000+ bike to wreckage just for the mere fun factor. Now, getting caught out in it is a different story. Some things you can control, other things you can’t.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.