Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here, but I figurd you guys might be great for helping me out. I have a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 636cc Limited edition. Here's a model picture of my bike.

http://img224.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mybikeplusproblemiu6.jpg

In the picture you'll see a black line I drew. This is where the damage is on my bike. On both sides of my bike I see damage here. Here's an actual picture of my bike and the damage.

http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=damagets4.gif

As you can see it's really bad scrapes/gouges... I have no clue where this came from. Even if I crash on my bike that part of the bike won't touch the ground. The bike isn't damaged at the very bottom so it didn't bottom out. The frames even slightly cracked by my back wheel on both sides. Is there any reason for this damage to be here? I've never left the road on my bike. This happened sometime within the past week. It's a weird spot to be vandalized but I seriously can't think of any other reason. I've only ridden the bike on the road and I haven't crashed/hit anything. Has anyone seen this issue before? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I had similar things to that before I changed it...but when mine was silver it had that so can't help you.

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
Looks to me like some "thoughtful vandalism". If it were something that you ran over, the scrapes/scratches would most likely be more linear. I'd say someone intentionally scratched it up, but tried to keep from overdoing the vandalism. That sucks man! :mad:

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
That's really weird the way that's scratched. Doesn't really look like you ran something over to me. How bad is your frame cracked? That would concern me, could be a bad thing safety wise.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's really weird the way that's scratched. Doesn't really look like you ran something over to me. How bad is your frame cracked? That would concern me, could be a bad thing safety wise.
Yep it really makes absolutely no sense! I've been going over everything in my mind but I just can't seem to figure it out. It's a really weird place to vandalize but right now that's all I can think of. I have geico coming by to check it out. I have comprehensive insurance with a $500 detuctable. So that really still sucks a lot of money. The cracks are on both sides by the back wheel next to the scratches. One is about 3 inches the other is about 1 inch.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Wow, hard to imagine how your frame could have cracked like that. Most likely you could have that welded up, but makes a guy wonder how it happened in the first place.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh by frame I mean the plastic cover with the design on it. Not the frame holding the bike together. But still... that cracked I mean.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Oh by frame I mean the plastic cover with the design on it. Not the frame holding the bike together. But still... that cracked I mean.
Oh, lol, minor difference :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks to me like it was rubbed against a curb, or maybe like a skateboard, or a cart/two wheel dolly. You think maybe you had it parked illegally a tow truck maybe tried to pick it up? IDK.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks to me like it was rubbed against a curb, or maybe like a skateboard, or a cart/two wheel dolly. You think maybe you had it parked illegally a tow truck maybe tried to pick it up? IDK.
I thought about a curb but that doesn't make sense considering it's on both sides. And not to mention I know I didn't hit any curbs. A skateboard or dolly wouldn't describe both sides also. As for a tow I haven't parked anywhere illegally. Though they are tow happy here. What would cause the damage though if it was a tow?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can probably get replacements on eBay or on this forum for a couple hundred bucks.
A Geico agent is supposed to call me tomorrow to set up an appointment to see the damages and set an estimated cost. I have a $500 deductible. I'm thinking they'll have to replace the bottom panel on both sides. What's this panel called? I'd like to do some searches to see what it'd cost me to do it on my own. If it's cheaper I'll save money and the hit on my insurance. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
looks to me like a curb job ;)

·
Powerhungry
38,382 Posts
wait..so you DONT know how this happened?

ive got an idea tho. the same thing happened to mine.(not as bad tho)

do you trailer it anywhere?

those marks look like they came from the ramp. from loading/unloading. too steep of an angle, or to a ramp with too tall of sides.

·
Registered
71 Posts
it won't be 500 in damage...those pieces are like 167 each... I have the right hand one if you need it...it's rashed but nothing like that...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
wait..so you DONT know how this happened?

ive got an idea tho. the same thing happened to mine.(not as bad tho)

do you trailer it anywhere?

those marks look like they came from the ramp. from loading/unloading. too steep of an angle, or to a ramp with too tall of sides.
Oh damn it it's problem this one... I looked at my trailer back and forth and couldn't think of anything that would cause the damage. However I didn't think about the loading ramp. Wow... I should have known. I'm an idiot. The wheels were even slipping as I went up. I couldn't figure out what the issue was. Stupid moment for sure... I'm guessing I need one of the arched ramps then right? Where might I be able to buy these panels that match? Or possibly some cooler looking ones? Is there a good site for panel parts?

·
Powerhungry
38,382 Posts
Oh damn it it's problem this one... I looked at my trailer back and forth and couldn't think of anything that would cause the damage. However I didn't think about the loading ramp. Wow... I should have known. I'm an idiot. The wheels were even slipping as I went up. I couldn't figure out what the issue was. Stupid moment for sure... I'm guessing I need one of the arched ramps then right? Where might I be able to buy these panels that match? Or possibly some cooler looking ones? Is there a good site for panel parts?
or a longer ramp. or bevel the top edges, so it wont hit.
you need to roll the bike up, and have someone watch where its hitting.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, just checked and I see black paint scraped off the trailer where it was scraping. Dang. Yep looks like I need to figure out what to use now. However if anyone knows of a shop that sells that panels let me know.

·
Powerhungry
38,382 Posts
Yeah, just checked and I see black paint scraped off the trailer where it was scraping. Dang. Yep looks like I need to figure out what to use now. However if anyone knows of a shop that sells that panels let me know.
knowing is half the battle.;)
i wouldnt replace any fairings until you get the trailer/ramp issue sorted out.
and theres LOTS of place to get new ones. www.ronayers.com comes to mind first...

or have yours sanded, and repainted.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts