Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys it was bound to happen...... I went down this morning on my way to work. It's the first time on the ninja, it SUCKS.

I got off the freeway, I have to turn left off the interstate, the light was red this morning ( thankfully). So I take of when it turns green, and as I'm coming out of the turn starting to roll on I hit a massive oil slick where some Jackass spilled oil all the way up the hill. It went down so fast I couldn't believe it. It spun around and smacked the curb on the outside, cracked the windscreen and did the normal lowside scrapes. The frame sliders worked great (anybody that don't have them, go get'em) I had my jacket on, but wasn't wearing my pants, my hip is pretty sore and bruised.

There was so much oil on the road that I had trouble picking the bike up becuase my feet were silding out from under me. I should have seen the oil, but is was still dark (5:30 am) and the concrete median is very high.

It sucks, but it's a fairly inexpensive lesson learned, ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings, anything can happen at any time of day.

·
Premium Member
15,930 Posts
As long as you're OK the rest can be fixed. That's one of the reasons I try to not ride in the dark. You can't prepare for something you can't see.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Glad your ok and doesnt sound like the bike is to bad. Chack one up for experience.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Dang man...

Sorry to hear you went down. Glad it wasn't worse. Bike can be fixed, so keep your chin up.

Were there street lights in the area? Sometimes you can see a rainbowish type reflection if there is oil on the road, even on a dark night. If there are no lights and little moonlight you are kinda out of luck. Must have been a real dark area if you can't see nothing at all.

Did you ride in the middle of the lane? Usually that's where the oil trail is. When I take a turn (depending on the size and speed) I'll either in on the outside or inside of the lane to avoid the oil trail and also to avoid lane drifters (usualy uber-sized SUVers) from coming and getting me.

If it was a big leak, wouldn't matter what side of the lane you were in, it'd probably cover the whole lane. You said "massive" so I imagine there was no way you could avoid it.

One other tip. When I am at a stoplight I'll flick my highbeams on and off. That helps me see if there is any road debris coming up.

Keep riding and good luck with the repairs.

-Flash

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dang man...

Sorry to hear you went down. Glad it wasn't worse. Bike can be fixed, so keep your chin up.

Were there street lights in the area? Sometimes you can see a rainbowish type reflection if there is oil on the road, even on a dark night. If there are no lights and little moonlight you are kinda out of luck. Must have been a real dark area if you can't see nothing at all.

Did you ride in the middle of the lane? Usually that's where the oil trail is. When I take a turn (depending on the size and speed) I'll either in on the outside or inside of the lane to avoid the oil trail and also to avoid lane drifters (usualy uber-sized SUVers) from coming and getting me.

If it was a big leak, wouldn't matter what side of the lane you were in, it'd probably cover the whole lane. You said "massive" so I imagine there was no way you could avoid it.

One other tip. When I am at a stoplight I'll flick my highbeams on and off. That helps me see if there is any road debris coming up.

Keep riding and good luck with the repairs.

-Flash
Honestly I wasn't even looking for anything, but if I was I wouldn't have been able to see much. It's very poorly lit and also turns directly up a hill, so when I was looking through the angle made it hard to see.

It was huge, it covered all of the outside lane and some on the inside, the only way to avoid it would have been to see it and try to put-put through or take another route. It sucks, but I guess thats life.

(good tip about the brights) :)

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Bama, sorry to hear about that, but you are okay. Either fix the bike or don't, but at least you are okay.

--David

FLASH AHHHH!!

You are alive!?!?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bama, sorry to hear about that, but you are okay. Either fix the bike or don't, but at least you are okay.

--David

FLASH AHHHH!!

You are alive!?!?
Thanks man, I'll def. be fixing the bike, it's all just cosmetics anyway. I can't live without my bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Glad you're not injured too badly. It's absolutely amazing how quickly the bike will go out from under you if you hit oil. I did it once on an interstate in the rain. One second I was fine and the next I'm sliding down the road on my back, and I was going straight. I hydroplaned to a stop with no injury, but the bike was toast. I doubt very much that the bike wouldn't have slipped even if you put-putted through it at low speed. Since the accident was in no way your fault don't let your insurance company bully you into paying for anything beyond your deductable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts